Question

Is it a mistake that Freshdesk makes VAT numbers mandatory when signing up?

• 22 February 2022
  • 4 replies

So we were ready to sign up with an annual plan, had the card ready and then hit a peculiar road block we’ve never seen before… Freshdesk make it mandatory at checkout to enter a VAT number.

Of course, being based in the UK - we have never needed to have one. Not all businesses need one and even Zendesk realises that because it is optional on their checkout like usual.

Is this decision of Freshdesk to enforce VAT numbers based on a misunderstanding of UK business regulation or is it something else? I’m kind of hoping it is something else because I am extremely intrigued at the reasoning and I love a weird story, like maybe they hate business which don’t want to have an optional VAT number or something haha.

Dying to know.

Thanks.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Hello @Nicy - first up, welcome to the Refersh Community :) Thank you for your question. I am not the best person to handle this question but I’ve already routed this to the right team. You will hear from us soon!

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers,

Arvind

Is there any update on this at all (I am also having the same issue!) Being a Sole Trader I do not have a VAT Number so I am unable to purchase the plan I require. This surely must be an issue for many more people?

Badge

Hello @Nicy - first up, welcome to the Refersh Community :) Thank you for your question. I am not the best person to handle this question but I’ve already routed this to the right team. You will hear from us soon!

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers,

Arvind

@Arvind Ramamurti HELP, we have a german VAT and it shows invalid when we want to pay for growth plan. please help

Hi Everyone, 

This is Suriya from UK account management team from Freshworks. 
I know that it must be a hindrance to sign-up online when VAT is a manndatory field. 

I have informed the relevant team to look into this. 

On the other hand, if you’d like immediate activation kindly reach out to the below given email IDs

support@freshworks.com

suriya.narayanan@freshworks.com (I can loop you with your respective account manager to activate your account without VAT)

Hope this helps

Regards,
Suriya

Account Manager UKI