Interaction between dispatch'r and forwarded emails / Email Loop Storms

• 23 April 2018
  • 2 replies

I have a dispatch'r rule that says "when a ticket is created out of business hours, send a response saying that if it's urgent you need to phone the out of hours line because we aren't constantly watching the inbox".

A couple of weeks ago, I received an automated notification from a 3rd party system system saying something had gone wrong, so I forwarded it our the support email address to deal with on the Monday.

But when I forwarded the email to support out of hours

1. The system recognised that I was an agent and set the ticket to be "from" the system which originally generated the email (support@mysupplier.com) and then

2. The dispatch'r rule kicked in, and sent support@mysupplier.com the "out of hours" message

3. support@mysupplier.com has an autoresponder on it too... so it replied

4. Which created a new ticket, which created a new "out of hours" message... etc!

Luckily, their system clearly has a throttle on it, because we only got 5 deep into the loop and then it stopped. Otherwise I'd be dealing with a helpdesk with tens of thousands of tickets that I needed to close.

I added a rule to my dispatch'r thing to not send the autoresponse if the requester had "support" in their email address:

and oh balls now I see why it doesn't work, the thing is set to "Match any", so EVERYONE who doesn't have "support" in their email address has been getting my out of hours response.

Ok, that changes what my question is.

Question: what is the best way of preventing these kind of email loops?

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi,

We've implemented spam prevention mechanisms wherein we would suppress the new ticket notification in case if the incoming email has the following tags in the original headers :

Auto-Submitted: Auto-generated
Precedence: auto_reply
Precedence: (bulk|junk)

The behaviour of the out of office emails differ with the clients ( Gmail triggers a new email as opposed to outlook web client which sends a response to the email retaining the references ) but the auto-responders will bear either of these tags and subsequently , the new ticket notifications would be suppressed. This should be the same case with majority of the ticketing systems ( emails generated as automatic notifications bear these tags ) .

In addition to this, you can also configure a dispatchr rule to automatically skip new ticket notifications for specific emails. You can make use of the condition Subject or Description contains and add several keywords ( Out of office, OOO , etc ) .

Cheers!

An earlier dispatchr rule to kill the autoresponse is the right solution for me. Thanks!