Question

Update ticket with assets associated with company automatically

• 4 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hoping someone can help.

We are a data centre company and have racks associated with customers.

When customers want to visit their rack, they need to raise an access request (service request).

The service request asks for the date and time of the visit, along with the customer details.

The request notification is sent to the security desk to validate their entry upon arrival.

Our customers are “contacts” which are assocated with the customers “company”.

When a ticket is created, the customer doesn’t always know the racks (assets) associated with their account.

I’d like to create a workflow that automatically searches for all the racks associated with that contacts company, and appends the rack ID to the ticket.

I believe the process could be achieved by creating a webhook post that looks up assets, but am struggling to understand the API documentation.

So in essence, the logic would be:

1. Contact creates service request ticket in FreshWorks
  2. Workflow automator identifies the company associated with the contact
  3. Automator looks up all racks associated with that contacts company
  4. The Post adds all the assets associated with that the company to the ticket
  5. The Agent notification email sends the notification inclduing the racks associated with the contact to the security front desk

I’ve reviewed ...

… but still struggling.

Can anyone assist?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello @apps3010, you are on the right track but there is one thing that is blocking this. You cannot see the assets associated to a specific Department/Company or Requester/Contact by using the Freshservice API. If you go to the Company Details you will not see a list of assets. If you try and filter your asset query using the freshservice API, you can only do so on name, asset_tag, or serial_number.

You could look to add a custom field to the department/company entity that includes the associated Rack (either name, asset_tag, or serial_number) and then get that value using the Freshservice API, parse it and then pass it to another API request against assets with the value as the filter.

Wish I had better news. A number of us are hoping for some API improvements around Asset Management here soon

Hope that helps a little.

Badge

Many thanks for your support Zach. Yeah some improvements would be good.

Currently exploring with a Web Request GET, into a JSON parser, a Web Request PUT to update the ticket with the asset details, and then outputting the details via:

Asset Display name: {{P1.root.assets.assets_object.name}}

Asset display ID: {{P1.root.assets.assets_object.display_id}}

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Many thanks for your support Zach. Yeah some improvements would be good.

Currently exploring with a Web Request GET, into a JSON parser, a Web Request PUT to update the ticket with the asset details, and then outputting the details via:

Asset Display name: {{P1.root.assets.assets_object.name}}

Asset display ID: {{P1.root.assets.assets_object.display_id}}

I think that makes a lot of sense. Good luck!