Question

Azure AD provisioning vs. Discovery Settings - User field mapping

• 31 August 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge

Can anyone confirm the relationship between the “Discovery Settings - User Field Mapping” area, and the AD Provisioning SCIM app?   

It seems like the latter is for scanning machines to extra AD information.   I won’t be doing that, but I was advised to make field mapping changes in there to affect and display custom field mappings from Azure.  

The problem I’m having is that the Provisioning app in Azure shows the data is being sent to FreshService for a few test requesters I setup, but the Requester record won’t update and display the information.   Is there a job that runs every 48 hours to refresh requesters?   It should be instant.

thanks...

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Can anyone confirm the relationship between the “Discovery Settings - User Field Mapping” area, and the AD Provisioning SCIM app?   

It seems like the latter is for scanning machines to extra AD information.   I won’t be doing that, but I was advised to make field mapping changes in there to affect and display custom field mappings from Azure.  

The problem I’m having is that the Provisioning app in Azure shows the data is being sent to FreshService for a few test requesters I setup, but the Requester record won’t update and display the information.   Is there a job that runs every 48 hours to refresh requesters?   It should be instant.

thanks...

Hello, could post the the path you added to the app in Azure ? 

And the name of the field in Freshservice? 

//Daniel 

Badge

Hi,  thanks for the response. 

Where in Azure would I find this path information?

The name of the field is “Callsign”.    

I deleted the entry in custom field mapping under “discovery”.    Until it’s confirmed that this is needed for both AD and Azure fields to work, I am leaving it out of the picture.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi,  thanks for the response. 

Where in Azure would I find this path information?

The name of the field is “Callsign”.    

I deleted the entry in custom field mapping under “discovery”.    Until it’s confirmed that this is needed for both AD and Azure fields to work, I am leaving it out of the picture.

In your azure app you need add something like this and the field is Office in the case is a custom field on the user. 

urn:ietf:params:scim:schemas:extension:freshservice:2.0:User:office

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

On Azure Portal, head to Enterprise Applications > Freshservice Provisioning.
Under Mappings, select Provision Azure Active Directory Users. At the bottom of the
page, select Show advanced options. Select Edit attribute list for Freshservice.
At the bottom of the attribute list, enter information about the custom attribute in the
fields provided. The custom attribute value should be:
urn:ietf:params:scim:schemas:extension:freshservice:2.0:User:office
“Type” should be set to “String”.

Badge

Mine is:  urn:ietf:params:scim:schemas:extension:freshservice:2.0:User:Callsign

It is set to “String”.

and the source attribute is “facsimileTelephoneNumber”.    

I am syncing data entered in the Fax field in our local AD, to Azure, and then (hopefully) to FreshService.

When I do an on-demand provision, the desired data is shown to be updated in the destination field.  

I am finding that the Requester records just aren’t updating on the FreshService side, even when the SCIM app is indicating new field values have been successfully sent over.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Mine is:  urn:ietf:params:scim:schemas:extension:freshservice:2.0:User:Callsign

It is set to “String”.

and the source attribute is “facsimileTelephoneNumber”.    

I am syncing data entered in the Fax field in our local AD, to Azure, and then (hopefully) to FreshService.

When I do an on-demand provision, the desired data is shown to be updated in the destination field.  

I am finding that the Requester records just aren’t updating on the FreshService side, even when the SCIM app is indicating new field values have been successfully sent over.

you tried using lower case ? 

Badge

I have not - worth trying.   Standby.

Badge

I don’t know what happened, but magically the field data is showing now.    I had tried the following:

• made the field name lowercase in both Azure and “user fields” in FS
  • deleted and recreated the mapping in Azure
  • Deleted the custom mapping schema in Discovery - Custom Settings (doesn’t seem like it’s needed).

I had tried all this before, but now magically it appeared.  Maybe the folks at Effy (who are currently looking into this) had something to do with it, or maybe it was the lowercase on the field name.   I did flip it back to “Callsign” from “callsign”, so if it breaks after that, I’ll know it was the case.

thanks...