Question

Help with Workflow to Purchase Items

• 2 September 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

We have an internal process, where a user submits a fillable PDF with line items to be ordered.  It looks like this:  

The PDF can have various items on it, most of which will not be in our Service Catalog.

The user emails the PDF to his supervisor, who then approves it via an email.  If the items are IT related, the supervisor emails the PDF to the IT Manager to approve, and then he emails the PDF with his approval to the Fiscal Office for final budget approval, then on to the person that actually places the orders.

Yes, government bureaucracy, for sure.

So, we area trying to automate some of this process inside Freshservice.  Since the items on the request typically are not in the Fresh Service Catalog, I’m having a hard time trying to come up with a workflow that will help us.

We’d like the initial request form to go through all the approvals via a Workflow, and then if the request is IT-related (via a checkbox on the form, I’m thinking), then the items on the form somehow get added to a Fresh PO, so when the IT items arrive, we can “receive them” within Fresh.

I know this is a lot.  Does anyone think we can automate this entire workflow within Fresh?  Any ideas to get us started?  

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hello, 

Are we talking about Freshdesk or Freshservice? (Sounds like you have FS) 
I guess the business like the way it’s working today with a PDF? 

With FS you can do things with bundled items that they check the item they want. (Recommend create one ticket per additional item)

You can then send approvals to different parts of the organization in the order you want based on the item. 

Would recommend adding all items to FS or add a “other” where they can specify with checkboxes with the non IT related. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi, Yes, Freshservice (FS).  But, if the items are not in the catalog from which to choose to add to a bundle.  And we would want all items on a single request form, like in the picture above.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi, Yes, Freshservice (FS).  But, if the items are not in the catalog from which to choose to add to a bundle.  And we would want all items on a single request form, like in the picture above.

The picture is a bundle.  You create them seperatet but you add them to a bundle. 

My idea was to add IT items as separate items and one item for all non IT.

Converting the pdf 1:1 is a challenge.  You could have 5 service items called Non IT 1, Non IT 2, Non IT 3 etc and they have text fields as shown in the PDF.  

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

The picture is a bundle.  You create them seperatet but you add them to a bundle. 

Converting the pdf 1:1 is a challenge.  You could have 5 service items called Non IT 1, Non IT 2, Non IT 3 etc and they have text fields as shown in the PDF.  

Thanks, this is a good idea.  I just think there should be a way to dynamically add line items to a request, but it doesn’t look like that is available currently. For instance, open request, complete basics, then add line item 1.. the line has QTY, DESCRIPTION, PRICE, then add another line item 2: QTY, DESC, PRICE… etc

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Thanks, this is a good idea.  I just think there should be a way to dynamically add line items to a request, but it doesn’t look like that is available currently. For instance, open request, complete basics, then add line item 1.. the line has QTY, DESCRIPTION, PRICE, then add another line item 2: QTY, DESC, PRICE… etc

There is the PO module you can add items like that. It’s only for agents. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

There is the PO module you can add items like that. It’s only for agents. 

Thanks, we’re using the PO module on the agent side for tracking and receiving, but that doesn’t address how our users can submit orders.  You’d think this would be a common need.  How do users order stuff that aren’t in your catalogs?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

For customer we have they add all items even if it’s not IT related. 
Or have a generic and have a field where they can write what they want. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Here is what I did for this:

I created a new Service Catalog item to request office supplies (IT Break/Fix or request Hardware are different for us)  User fills in a form with exact product, site, sku’s to purchase and delivery location (we are all remote employees).

First workflow goes to users manager for approval. Once approved it goes to Finance for approval.  Once approved i send email to our purchasing person to execute on (happens to be in Finance). This sends an email to the requestor to say your request has been approved and sent to purchasing.  Ticket is closed. Finance orders the product.

No form, just a fill in the text with details.

Anything more complicated is an item in our service catalog with a listed business owner typically these are IT replacements or break fix. which follows a slightly different process.