Solved

Implementing ReverseProxy for portal gives out endless 403s

• 12 February 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello dear engineers,

We are implementing a reverse proxy solution so that, upon migrating from our current FAQ to the FreshDesk hosted one, we can support the validation of all historical links and still serve new content.

At first, it all worked well, but progressively we started seeing more and more “403 Forbidden” errors intermittently. This means that pages could either load, not load, or partially load.

I suspect that, since now all of our traffic will be coming from a single location, it is possible we have been flagged as potential offenders by your networking strategy.

Would it be possible to either confirm/infirm the above? I can provide you with our IP address to be whitelisted for this behaviour to go away.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide

Regards

Kevin

icon

Best answer by alexkhani 4 March 2024, 21:32

View original

1 reply

Hello dear engineers,

We are implementing a reverse proxy solution so that, upon migrating from our current FAQ to the FreshDesk hosted one, we can support the validation of all historical links and still serve new content.

At first, it all worked well, but progressively we started seeing more and more “403 Forbidden” errors intermittently. This means that pages could either load, not load, or partially load.

I suspect that, since now all of our traffic will be coming from a single location, it is possible we have been flagged as potential offenders by your networking strategy.

Would it be possible to either confirm/infirm the above? I can provide you with our IP address to be whitelisted for this behaviour to go away.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide

Regards

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

It sounds like you're encountering intermittent "403 Forbidden" errors after implementing a reverse proxy solution for your FAQ migration to FreshDesk. While I'm not directly involved in network configurations, I can offer some general guidance on how you might address this issue.

1. Check FreshDesk Documentation: Start by reviewing FreshDesk's documentation to see if they have any guidelines or limitations on using reverse proxies. They may provide specific instructions or recommendations to avoid such issues.

2. Review Proxy Configuration: Ensure that your reverse proxy is configured correctly. Check for any misconfigurations that might lead to intermittent 403 errors. This includes verifying that headers, such as the Host header, are correctly forwarded.

3. Rate Limiting or Security Measures: It's possible that FreshDesk or any intermediary services have rate limiting or security measures in place, and the increased traffic from a single IP might trigger these measures. Check FreshDesk's security settings or contact their support to inquire about any limitations.

4. IP Whitelisting: If you suspect that your IP address is being flagged, you can contact FreshDesk support and provide them with your IP address. They may be able to whitelist it or provide insights into the 403 errors.

5. Logs and Monitoring: Monitor your server logs and FreshDesk logs for any patterns or specific error messages associated with the 403 errors. This might give you more information on the cause of the issue.

6. Rate Limiting on Your End: If you have control over the reverse proxy, check if there's any rate limiting or security features enabled on your end that might be triggering the 403 errors.

7. Throttle Requests: Consider implementing request throttling on your reverse proxy to distribute the traffic more evenly over time, which may help mitigate potential rate-limiting issues.

8. Caching Mechanism: Ensure that your caching mechanism is working as expected. Sometimes, stale or incorrect cached content can lead to 403 errors.

Remember, these are general suggestions, and the specifics may vary depending on your network architecture and FreshDesk's settings.