Skip to main content
Question

Notification for new Forum activity

• 5 June 2024
  • 5 replies

I’ve read similar Questions and Ideas, but this feature does not appear to be implemented yet:

Is it possible for Freshdesk Collaborator Agents to receive email notifications for any new Forum activity, ideally for all forums, but at least for a particular forum?

Not just for a particular forum topic/post.

This feature will enable Collaborator Agents to know if there are new forum posts without having to go the the Forum to check all the time.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Hi.

I'd suggest to submit this in the Developers Community rather than in the User's Community.

https://community.freshworks.dev/c/ideas/15

But if asking for votes, the link to the Idea should be shared also.

Tagging @alyssia.correa and @Kamakshi V as well.

Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

thanks for tagging us @eeha0120 . @tanmay  @Shobhit can you help here?

@ShaunMetrics do you mean getting email notification for every new forum topic created? That wouldn’t be a good idea as it would spam your inbox. Instead, hit “like” button on the topic/question you want to follow. Forum platforms are designed in such a way that when you hit like on any particular forum question, you start receiving emails notifs for any new activity that happens on that question.

Also under dev community: https://community.freshworks.dev/ you have a dropdown feature (under each thread) to subscribe to a notification of your choice. I hope this helps. 

Badge +3

@tanmay Yes, I mean getting a notification for every new Forum topic created, either by email or Slack.

You cannot say it’s not a good idea due to the volume of notifications, as you do not know the volume of notifications this feature would generate. My company just started using Freshdesk Forums, and we receive only a few new topics per day, so the notifications would not annoy/overwhelm us. Also, if we find the volume of notifications too great, we can always disable them.

What is annoying is that the only way for Collaborator Agents to check for new topics is to:

1. go to the customer portal regularly, say daily or hourly
  2. record the number of topics beside each forum
  3. refresh the Forums page
  4. see if the number of topics beside each forum has changed
  5. expand any forum with a changed # of topics
  6. determine which topics are new
  7. repeat steps 1-6

Do you understand how this process is not only annoying, but is so inefficient that it deters my company’s developers from checking for new topics? As a Full Agent, I have the Activity view of the Forums, but my developers do not as they are Collaborator Agents, nor would the view help them much.

As I said in my original post:

Is it possible for Freshdesk Collaborator Agents to receive email notifications for any new Forum activity, ideally for all forums, but at least for a particular forum?

Not just for a particular forum topic/post.

This feature will enable Collaborator Agents to know if there are new forum posts without having to go the the Forum to check all the time.

So no, I’m not asking to be notified of activity on existing topics, which I know is a feature already implemented. I am asking to be notified of all new topics, so agents don’t have to go to the Forums page to check for new activity. This is a real use case that my developers have asked for. Other forum SW, eg. Discord, have this feature.

My original post was a Yes/No question, which still no one has answered. But it sounds like the answer is No, and that I should submit the feature as an Idea.

Hello @ShaunMetrics, thanks for the details you have shared in your thread. I can understand your point and let me try to help you with some options. To manage the forum activity under the developer community forum: https://community.freshworks.dev/, please login and go to your profile and then click preferences. Under the ‘tracking’ tab enable the options. Check if those settings are helpful and let you achieve the desired functionality. For the Slack integration, there are plugins available to enable a connection between forums and Slack: https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-chat-integration-plugin/66522. You can check with your developer team if the integration is possible via these plugins.

Feel free to raise a feature request if the above doesn't help. Thanks again for reaching out!