End chat option for visitors

Related products: Freshdesk

Visitors will be able to end an ongoing chat with an agent, not just minimize it

I also like this idea, because this ties into another issue.

Let's say when a customer minimizes and closes the window and the agent logs off. When the customer re-opens the window, the chat window still remains with that agent. Then they initiate a chat with that agent, but that agent is already logged off. Customer gets no indication of this and the Agent will receive the chat once they log back on again. This poses a problem because the customer should get redirected to another Agent for chat. This is the test case that I've experienced at least.

If the customer can close the chat widget, a customer re-engaging chat will be routed to an active chat agent instead.

I agree Andy, and I will add that until the 5 min of inactivity is met, the chat window will expand every time our customer goes to another web page.  They have expressed how annoying this is, and wish there was a way to just close it completely.

Hey Bill - we have fixed the window expansion on the additional 5 min. Can you check and confirm it works fine for you? If agent has ended the chat, the window would be minimized on moving to another page/refreshing the page immediately. If thats not happening for you we can quickly connect and troubleshoot.

Meanwhile, will keep you posted on when this feature releases!

Thank you Smrithi for the response, and just to confirm - you are stating that when a chat is closed by an Agent, the chat window on the customer's end will remain minimized even if they go to another page?  Is this correct?

Thank you again.

Hi Smrithi!

I just tested this, and even though the Agent closed the chat, the window still expands on the customer's end, when they go to another page?  Sorry, but this is not working as expected e.g. customer's chat window should remain minimized.

Let me know how you would like me to proceed.

Bill, let me have one of our agents reach out to regarding this and see what might be the problem.

Hello,

I just ran across this issue today as we've just launched our CHAT feature and unfortunately didn't even THINK to test if there was a way to end the chat as this was assumed!    I really don't understand how an option to end the chat is not a common function? How do you expect to end the chat?  Do you ever end the chat?  The logic that the chat would stay with the same agent forever,  even after the customer signs off and the agent signs off is highly impractical. I was told today this was a feature that was in the works but no ETA????   It's a pretty basic function to be able to end a CHAT... I would think this would be HIGH on the list of issues to address. 

I see this thread was last responded to 17 days ago...  I'm hoping there is light at the end of this tunnel

Velvet - We do have an option to end the chat, and as you rightly said the tool cannot function without a chat ending. Currently, the control to end the chat lies only with the agent and not with the visitor. This feature request is to enable it on the visitor end too. And if the agent preemptively end a chat before a visitor can finish his questions, we allow the visitor to rejoin the same chat so that there is immediate context set, and helps in both the agent and visitor in not wasting their time. This is only within the first few minutes of an agent ending the chat. Beyond that, when a visitor pings, it would be a new chat as usual. 

Hope that clarifies the experience your visitors will have.

Have we reached light at the end of the tunnel yet? Can chat sessions be closed on the customer's end?

@Darwin: Yes we have. The customers can end the chat. Here is a link to an article on the topic:

https://support.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/218804-visitors-can-end-the-chat

This seems to be an issue again, as I do not see a way for customers to end chats