Solved

Expression Builder: Checking for status change

• 11 July 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

Is it possible to use Expression Builder in an Automation to determine if a Change setting has been modified? 

As an example, I have a check mark for “End-User Communications” in the listed Change fields. I would like to use Workflow Automation to send an email if a ticket is updated and the check mark status goes from “False” to “True”.

icon

Best answer by eeha0120 11 July 2023, 18:26

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Aaron,

I don’t think Expression Builder is the right way to do this. Are you talking about Change Management or Ticket Management? First you talked about a change setting and later about “ticket is updated”. This has some impact on my suggestion because you have different possibilities in these modules.

Have you tried listing all the events in which you want to send an e-mail in a workflow as an event node? This should be easy and should work for both modules, try the following:

In the event node just select the events that you want this to happen. Via conditions you could also create exceptions from this mail.

If you want this to happen on every update just select the event “ticket or change got updated” instead of listing all the events manually.

Hope this helps.

Badge

Thank you @DanielRuff for the reply. I’ll clarify…

Currently, I have Change fields that include three different check boxes: ‘End-User Impact’, ‘SD FYI’, and ‘Announcement’. When one or more are selected this indicates that a communications manager needs to either prepare stakeholder communications, alert the Service Desk to the Change, or update our internal announcements page.

In order to make the communications manager aware of this I have a Change Automator workflow setup that looks for new Change creation, if one of those options is checked, then reads from a custom object to determine the correct recipient, and finally sends a formatted email letting them know the details of the Change so they can schedule accordingly. 

I would like to create a second workflow that does the same if say, for instance, the Change is not originally created with one of those boxes checked, but it is later checked when the Change is updated. Now, I know I can do this with an Event trigger of ‘Change is Updated’… but then that would repeat the communications each time ANY setting on the Change is updated, not just these three checkboxes.

Unfortunately, the individual condition changes for these particular fields only allow for ‘Selected’ or ‘Not Selected’ and not ‘Updated’.

I was hoping that the Build Expression feature might allow me to trigger the needed response if the state of the checkbox(es) were “False” to start with and changed to “True” when the Change is Updated event took place.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi.

With the Enhanced Workflow builder, you can create a workflow with a field being changed:

If it is a change, you can setup a workflow to trigger when your field changes from X value to Y value-

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Badge

Thank you @eeha0120. While this IS what I was going for, the options are just not there when you’re working with a check box element. 

I WAS able to get it working by changing the check boxes to Yes/No drop-down menus, which then gives me the ability to set it as an Event when the state changes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thank you @eeha0120. While this IS what I was going for, the options are just not there when you’re working with a check box element. 

I WAS able to get it working by changing the check boxes to Yes/No drop-down menus, which then gives me the ability to set it as an Event when the state changes.

Oh, yes. Checkboxes have some limitations in the workflows, so, yes, switching to Yes/No dropdowns usually do the trick. Apologies I didn’t mentioned it. Glad I could be of help.

Thanks. Regards,

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@aaron.asbury Thanks for the description this helped us understanding the issue.

Yeah the checkbox limitations are sometimes quite frustrating. In fact you can also have a max of 5 checkboxes within change management.