Question

Timeout on Powershell Orchestrator Run?

• 16 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Is there a timeout for the Orchestrator to accept return values from the Powershell App?

I’m trying to automate looking for unique UPNs across multiple AAD tenants (to simplify future migration) and collecting all the active users takes several seconds.  When I try running the exact same command using Invoke-Command I get a response back in 25-30 seconds typically but the Workflow Automator never gets anything

Testing using a simple sleep+date command shows that 15 seconds usually works, 20 seconds only returns on rare occasions and 25 seconds never works.

Sleep -seconds 20
Get-Date

Am I missing something, or is this a limitation where it won’t collect the return value/status when the call takes longer.

I’ve been able to validate that the actual process completes on the remote machine through start/stop-transcript, so it isn’t a failure to run, simply to return the information to Fresh.

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hello

I hit this issue early on, and the answer is apparently ‘23 seconds’. I was told it is the time it takes for the orchestration service to poll, or be polled, 10 times.

For functions that take longer, I’ve used the workflow to instigate the function, and then have the function write back to update the ticket, either adding a note, updating the status, or both.

I’ve written some PowerShell modules for managing Fresh Tickets, generic copies of which can be found here: FreshAPIv2: A PowerShell module containing functions that invoke the Fresh v2 APIs (github.com)

I have this exact same problem. 15 seconds and under works fine. Between 16 and 20 it’s iffy, and anything above 20 fails consistently.