Question

Using IT Services within Freshservice

• 22 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’m after some assistance with IT Services please?  They are currently setup in different areas of our Freshservice.  When somebody raises a ticket via the portal they select an option from Service Type which is a free form drop down field created in field manager.  When agents raise an incident they don’t use service type, but instead use a different dependent drop down menu where they select the category, item etc… and finally, I’ve setup the services in IT Operations/Services where they can be linked after raising an incident via the impacted services tab and then we can post high priority incidents to the status page for these services.  We then also have the service catalogue for people that want to request access\software\hardware, but I’m leaving this alone for now.  Ideally I’d like to just use the services through IT Operations/Services (this actually creates the service in the asset inventory), but does anybody know how to link this as a dropdown field in the incident form for both agents and on the portal?  I did try adding a drop down field in Field manager using data source and pointing it to assets, but it doesn’t display as a drop down and you have to type characters to search for the service, which isn’t appropriate for us.  How does everybody else log incidents against services?  If anybody can shed any light on this or show us how they have services set up then that would be great.  Thank you

5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

If I understand your post correctly - it sounds like you’re actively working to list all of your services in the Asset Catalog - and you’d like Requesters (or automation?) to be able to associate Service-Assets to incident and SR tickets?

1. Took a look and this seems fairly simple - Open up Admin > Field Manager > Ticket Fields.
  2. Drag and Drop the “Dropdown” option to where you’d like the Asset to be selected.
  3. In the pop-up window that opens, change the radio button from “Custom Dropdown” to “Select from Data Source”. 
  4. In the Data Source window, select “Assets”.

I’d be sure to test that before using it, however. Depending on how big your CMDB is, and/or how savvy your Requestors are - wading through the entire Asset library could be… daunting. Might want to train/instruct your Requestors on how to get to the Services that matter to them - instead of wading though everyone’s computer names, obscure server names, Cloud Compute resources, SAN names, Switch names, etc etc etc.

Let me know how that works for ya!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks for this.  I’ve already looked at that.  You can filter it to a certain asset type, but it doesn’t really work as it doesn’t display as a dropdown and you need to enter characters to search for the service.  I think this would cause issues with people.  I think I’ll have to just use the category option that we’ve been using instead.  It doesn’t seem right that you can’t log an incident against a service in the CMDB.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I think I’ll have to just use the category option that we’ve been using instead.  It doesn’t seem right that you can’t log an incident against a service in the CMDB.

Yeah, seems a little silly that we can’t specify a “subset” of Assets - such as “just Services” instead of expecting a Requester to have to know the name(s) of the thing(s) they’re reporting.

Perhaps a Feature Request?

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

To add to this, you are also unable to apply any additional filters, particularly ‘Status’ would be useful, as the end user will also see all retired assets of that type.

Sub-optimal.

To link IT Operations/Services as a dropdown in both agent and user incident forms in Freshservice, you can use the Freshservice API to dynamically populate dropdown options with your services. This involves creating a custom script that fetches the list of services through the API and then injects these as options into the incident form dropdowns.