Freshdesk very long SPF record is a problem

• 10 January 2022
  • 32 replies

Show first post

32 replies

+1

This is a major problem for us - we need space in our SPF for other tools and FreshDesk having so many records is making it impossible for me to enable dmarc, which creates security risks for our organization.

Given they have been aware of this for four months and have done nothing, we have no option but to move to another service provider.

A note for Freshdesk - every other service provider using email I have come across has at most 2 DNS lookups - and some of them have way more complicated requirements than you. You’re argument that you need to have 8 is simply invalid and will undoubtedly cost you customers. Perhaps you should look at a delegation tool as a short term solution?

This cuts the number of lookups to 4, if I’m not mistaken, because within each of those addresses (sendgrid.net and fdspfus.freshemail.io in my case) is yet another include (ab.sendgrid.net and fdspfus2.freshemail.io respectively).  Still too many - now freshdesk takes up almost half of the SPF instead of almost all… so an improvement but still not really acceptable the way things work today.

Couldn’t agree more. Freshworks really needs to address this. We’re likely looking to switch from Freshsales for this among other reasons. We really want to use a bunch of the Freshworks suite of products, but it’s these type of backend oversights and poor implementation that break things, especially when security and reliable systems is critical. Email reputation is critical, so SPF, DKIM, and DMARC are absolutely necessary.

This cuts the number of lookups to 4, if I’m not mistaken, because within each of those addresses (sendgrid.net and fdspfus.freshemail.io in my case) is yet another include (ab.sendgrid.net and fdspfus2.freshemail.io respectively).  Still too many - now freshdesk takes up almost half of the SPF instead of almost all… so an improvement but still not really acceptable the way things work today.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @brian_c, our apologies for the delay in helping you in this thread. I am glad you were able to set up DKIM which is helping in solving this issue. However, for SPF records, instead of adding email.freshdesk.com, you can include sendgrid.net and any one of the region specific records that suits your account settings. 

SPF records

US - fdspfus.freshemail.io

EU - fdspfeuc.freshemail.io

AUS - fdspfaus.freshemail.io

INDIA - fdspfind.freshemail.io

I hope this helps in tackling the number of lookups made. We’ll certainly pass the feedback to our engineering team to see how we can optimise it better. Thanks for elaborating how DKIM covers SPF look up as well in your reply. 

Have a good day! 

Badge

I believe that the new DKIM setup that was implemented can possibly solve this now.  When you go into the DKIM Settings (under Email Settings → Advanced Settings), one of the CNAMEs it asks you to create is “fwdkim1.<yourdomain>”.  When sending an email from your domain through the Freshdesk mail server, it uses that as the server address, so when checking the SPF it does a lookup of the TXT record on this CNAME, rather than on your root domain.  As a result of all this, you no longer need to have the Freshdesk domains in your root domain’s SPF record at all anymore, since it will use this CNAME instead.

This is alluded to in the Solution article here that mentions it has “SPF check within the DKIM records”:

https://support.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/223779-email-domain-verification-using-dkim-records

I’ve implemented it this way on our domains and they are all passing SPF when sent through Freshdesk, although I made no changes to the root domain’s SPF record.

We're also having issues using SPF because of Freshdesk is taking up 80% of the record.

Now we've moved to an Office365 integration to avoid needing Freshdesk's SPF. Unfortunately we're running into other issues with a Message ID header being too long and e-mail is being marked as spam instantly by Cloudmark's software…

Userlevel 1
Badge

Nothing, there is nothing to do. You need these SPF records to use the system that way and we can’t remove our own as we need them to send email from other systems.

so as i said, i’m avoiding the whole problem by changing the way i use Freshdesk. That might not be for everyone.

Freshdesk is taking up 80% of peoples SPF record. That’s way to much when it could be 10 or 20%