Freshdesk very long SPF record is a problem

• 10 January 2022
  • 32 replies

Show first post

32 replies

Hi @Ant-TTG 

Greetings for the day!

Apologies for the inconvenience caused here.

Glad to hear that the issue has been resolved now. Regarding the SPF query, as you mentioned you can add the region specific lookup which is "fdspfeuc.freshemail.io" and "sendgrid.net" to avoid this issue.

That said, we will pass on your feedback to our backend team to update the documentation accordingly.
Feel free to drop a note for any further help.

Cheers,
Kajal, Freshworks Community

Nothing is solved here…. ?? Why are you telling that?

You always mention "fdspfeuc.freshemail.io"  and "sendgrid.net" together. Do I need "sendgrid.net" if I have nothing running on Twilio?? is this mandatory or just a specific case of someone using this service Twilio?

@Freshworks I used the hint to `include fdspfus.freshemail.io`  and that reduced the total SPF lookups to less than 10.

But evaluating the email header from emails sent via Freshdesk, it fails DKIM verification.  Specifically,  looks like Freshworks is returning an extra dot at the end of the hostname:  “mail-usn65.freshemail.io.” instead of “mail-usn65.freshemail.io”

1. entry (2. line): from mail-usn65.freshemail.io (mail-usn65.freshemail.io. [44.192.35.64]) by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id p20-20020a05622a13d400b003b9e7368d3csi8936549qtk.780.2023.02.28.12.55.09 for <xxxxxxxx@xxx.com> (version=TLS1_2 cipher=ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128/128); Tue, 28 Feb 2023 12:55:09 -0800 (PST)
Sender (from): mail-usn65.freshemail.io
Sender hostname: mail-usn65.freshemail.io.
Warning: The sender (mail-usn65.freshemail.io) and the hostname (mail-usn65.freshemail.io.) determined by the mail server are different.
Warning: The hostname of the sender is invalid (mail-usn65.freshemail.io.).
Warning: The sender's hostname (mail-usn65.freshemail.io.) is not identical to the hostname determined from the sender's IP address (mail-usn65.freshemail.io).

This cuts the number of lookups to 4, if I’m not mistaken, because within each of those addresses (sendgrid.net and fdspfus.freshemail.io in my case) is yet another include (ab.sendgrid.net and fdspfus2.freshemail.io respectively).  Still too many - now freshdesk takes up almost half of the SPF instead of almost all… so an improvement but still not really acceptable the way things work today.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Nothing, there is nothing to do. You need these SPF records to use the system that way and we can’t remove our own as we need them to send email from other systems.

so as i said, i’m avoiding the whole problem by changing the way i use Freshdesk. That might not be for everyone.

Freshdesk is taking up 80% of peoples SPF record. That’s way to much when it could be 10 or 20%

Badge

If you attempt to create an SPF or TXT record with a long string (>255 characters) in it, BIND will give an error (e.g. "invalid data format: ran out of space".) Strings in SPF and TXT records should be no longer than 255 characters.

We're also having issues using SPF because of Freshdesk is taking up 80% of the record.

Now we've moved to an Office365 integration to avoid needing Freshdesk's SPF. Unfortunately we're running into other issues with a Message ID header being too long and e-mail is being marked as spam instantly by Cloudmark's software…