Solved

How do people feel turning off emails?

• 6 November 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge +3

I am looking at turning off emails to our IT portal to encourage more tickets to be raised by the self service portal.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Has anyone been able to sucessfully implement this?

Also, I suppose the question would be…. how do I do this?

icon

Best answer by DanielRuff 10 November 2023, 12:55

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi,

we are actively blocking emails from our internal domain and delete the created tickets immediately via workflow. In addition the user gets a seperate email that the email has been rejected with links to knowledge base where we explain why we block this and show the correct way of creating tickets via service portal.

It works but takes a long time for everyone to understand how important this step is. Hope that helps.

Best regards
Daniel

Badge +3

Hi Daniel,

Thank you. That’s great - are you able to share the KB that you have explaining why you block them etc?

Did you get any feedback from the business on this?

Thanks,

Matt

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi Matt,

I’m not able to share the KB article as there is a lot of internal stuff written down. In a few words you could summarize this way: “Structured way of sending every request to our support staff. We have 300 agents and it’s complex to reach the correct agent group. We can not accept emails as we have to manually route the requests which takes a lot of time for us and extends the time needed for the request to fulfill. Sending request email → 2-3 days until resolution. Via service portal and category routing → 1-2 days max as the correct agent group is automatically set.

The feedback is mixed. A lot of people understand why we do it like this and a few dont. But they get used to. The usual “We've always done it this way” tires me and is not accepted by us or the management.

Best regards
Daniel

Badge +3

Thanks Daniel.

Appriciate your feedback.

Turning off emails can evoke a range of emotions among individuals, reflecting the complex relationship people have with their digital inboxes. For some, the idea of switching off email notifications is liberating, offering a respite from the constant barrage of messages that can be overwhelming. It provides a sense of control over one's time and attention, allowing for focused work without the interruptions that emails often bring.

On the other hand, there are those who may feel a sense of anxiety or FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) when contemplating turning off emails. In today's fast-paced and interconnected world, emails serve as a primary means of communication for both personal and professional matters. The fear of not being immediately reachable or staying informed about crucial updates can create apprehension for individuals who are accustomed to being constantly connected.

Some may associate turning off emails with a desire for solitude and undisturbed concentration. The quietude achieved by silencing the email influx can enhance productivity and enable deep, uninterrupted work. This resonates particularly with individuals in creative or demanding professions who require extended periods of focused attention. Read More