Question

Workflow trigger to resolve a ticket once a resolution has been added

• 14 May 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge +4

Hi Folks!

I’m trying to setup a workflow in the Ticket Automator that will automatically set the status of a ticket to Resolved once a Resolution Status has been added into a ticket. To test this currently, I’m simply getting the workflow to hopefully run once the word “Test” has been entered into the resolution note box.

Unfortunately, this does not seem to be working unless I make a change to the ticket properties and hit the Update button… It seems as if somehow I need to get my workflow to trigger without needing to hit the Update button on Ticket Properties?!

I’m not sure if perhaps I can trigger this by forcing another field in the properties area of a ticket to be updated… But it would be brilliant to make this work, we are trying to reduce the number of clicks required for our agents when resolving a ticket and this would certainly be a huge help.

These are the 4 steps in my workflow I have setup…
Event (1st step):

Expression Builder (2nd step):

Condition (3rd step):

Action (4th step):

Perhaps someone in this forum has tried not necessarily a similar thing, but has found a way to get these workflows to trigger despite not performing a manual update of the Ticket Properties.

I would like to get us to a point where we either use:

1. Quick Resolver app - Agent performs the Quick Resolver action to resolve ticket, they are prompted to enter resolution as this is Mandatory, once entered this workflow triggers because the resolution is no longer blank (at present, an agent needs to hit the Update button again after entering the resolution...)
  2. Resolution Note entered - Agent simply goes to the Resolution tab, enters their resolution note and saves it - Workflow triggers as resolution notes are no longer blank and marks the ticket as Resolved without needing to update this in the Properties of the ticket.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

5 replies

Badge +4

I should say, I’m wary that I probably don’t need to include all the initial events on my first step - Was just trying multiple scenarios to see if this would help! Also first real time playing with the expression builder, so I may not be doing enough on that front...

Badge +2

Hi, we are thinking of something similar to your szenario b, but this is still in testphase.
Step 1 should be possible to reduce to Ticket is updated.
Step 2 and 3 can be combinded within the condition by expression.
maybe instead of the length workaroung it could be possible to use “not equal to empty” (!=’’)

Step 4 (3) add your actions as you like.
- add note with the resolution note, set status resolved et cetera
maybe add the placeholder resolution_note to the mail template ticket solved

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

how about adding resolution code, then you can have the trigger when the Code is change from Any to Any, then trigger the workflow. 

Badge +4

how about adding resolution code, then you can have the trigger when the Code is change from Any to Any, then trigger the workflow. 

Hi Roxwell,

Appreciate your response on this - Sorry for the silly question, when you say resolution code… Do you mean starting a workflow with the Event “Status changed from Any” and then do the action set to Resolved as the last step in the workflow?

We’re fairly new users of the Freshservice system so still getting to grips with it, so apologies for the newbie question!

Badge +4

Hi, we are thinking of something similar to your szenario b, but this is still in testphase.
Step 1 should be possible to reduce to Ticket is updated.
Step 2 and 3 can be combinded within the condition by expression.
maybe instead of the length workaroung it could be possible to use “not equal to empty” (!=’’)

Step 4 (3) add your actions as you like.
- add note with the resolution note, set status resolved et cetera
maybe add the placeholder resolution_note to the mail template ticket solved

Hi Alex,

Thanks for sending this across! Was trying to get the length function working and wasn’t having any luck initially - Works now. Sadly tried this and also the != method, as was thinking the same too and no luck with either :(

I can trigger this only be changing something in the ticket properties panel after entering a resolution - Say changing a category for example and then pressing Update triggers this workflow to kick in. I reckon somehow in the workflow automation we can somehow trigger the action of the “Update” button to kick in… Which would make this work! :)

Will keep tinkering to see if I can get anywhere.

Ollie