Solved

Workflow when caller responds to closed ticket, depending on who closed it.

• 17 January 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi all.

I’m new to both FreshService and this community. Already tried browsing through lots of other threads and FAQ’s but can’t seem to find what I need (in a wording I understand, at least. I’m a coordinator, not a developer..)

I’ve created a workflow that triggers when a caller responds to a ticket.

The workflow notifies the agent and changes ticket status to “in progress”.

I would like another condition added, so that the workflow does trigger when caller responds to a ticket closed by an agent (or in status pending), but not if he/she responds to a ticket and then closes it themselves.

I’ve tried to work with the advanced expression builder for the conditions, based on what I found in other threads, but I don’t get the syntax so I can’t get that to work either. 

What I think I need is a workflow that:

1: triggers when a public note or reply is added by requestor

2: checks if ticket status is closed and status is changed by requestor

3: notifies agent

4: If check in “step 2” is true (closed, changed by requestor): Stop workflow.
-if check in “step 2” is false (any status, but NOT changed by requestor): update status to In Progress.

If I need to use the advanced expression builder, please remember that this will be my first time ever working with something like that 😳

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by DanielRuff 17 January 2024, 13:39

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi @Zap and welcome to the community.

Your described workflow won’t trigger:

• Step 1 (workflow event) is only executed if a requester does something.
  • Step 4 is only executed if a someone else did that action

Referencing:

I would like another condition added, so that the workflow does trigger when caller responds to a ticket closed by an agent (or in status pending), but not if he/she responds to a ticket and then closes it themselves.

The second use case is irrelevant and you just have to take care of the first for requesters response. Workflows are executed immediately so if a requester writes a note (workflow executes and changes the status to “in progress”) and after a few seconds he closes the ticket himself in the UI then there should be no need to take care of that scenario.

Just try to create a clean workflow:

• Event: If a requester adds a public note or sends an answer
  • Action: Set status to “In progress”

Took me quite some time to understand your use case. Hope I understood everything right, tell me in case I missed something. Hope that helps.  

Best regards

Daniel

Badge

Hi @DanielRuff 

Workflows are executed immediately so if a requester writes a note (workflow executes and changes the status to “in progress”) and after a few seconds he closes the ticket himself …

Thank you! 

It does seem obvious when you explain it, but somehow in my mind the process of “respond” and “close” had turned into one step.

The trigger on my workflow is actually “Ticket is updated by requestor” and I did not question that (I am taking over from someone else and until I get settled in, I try to add but not change too many of his settings)

I’ll try and modify as you mentioned.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

You’re welcome. Try to start with basics and separate the use case in single steps. That helps a lot. :-)