Question

Service Catalog - software and access requests

• 12 December 2022
  • 3 replies

hello everyone new member to the Utah user group and new FreshService admin. 

Any good ideas or best practices regarding building out a Software catalog and access requests?

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Welcome mimiller!  Glad to see your question!

I know other admins will have better first hand stories and recommendations, but I’d like to start with a baseline recommendation of some resource to assist in this:

Configuring Service Catalog Items (SUPPORT ARTICLE)

Managing Software in Freshservice (SUPPORT ARTICLE)

In general, if you have your hardware assets being tracked by the asset manager you’ll have the software auto populated based on each asset. After that, I’d maybe manually add other solutions or look into any SaaS applications to be discovered with the SaaS Management addon.

For the access requests, think about ways to automate approvals for smaller items, and require approval for larger more strategic packages.

I’d also look at the Orchestration Center apps as a place to see where and how you can automate even more of the provisioning/updating/de-provisioning of software or access.  You can tie orchestrations into your Service Requests and make the whole process even smoother.

Working with Freshservice Orchestrations (SUPPORT ARTICLE)

Hope that helps some, and please others weigh in.

-Dan

Hey Mike!

I consulted with one of my colleagues (who also used to be a customer) and he suggested the following:

1. Evaluate what you'd consider "Birthright Applications vs Needed Applications". Basically which accesses are granted on Day 1 during the new hire processes and which accesses are people requesting after they've been with a company "X" number of days.

2. Look into ticket details to identify what you're support desk are being asked for that can be transitioned into Service Items and begin migrating those things there.

3. Talk with the internal team and ask "When someone asks for "ABC App" what's the minimum information you need to create\update that account in that system.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

ITSM industry authority @BarclayRae has written on this recently: https://www.barclayrae.com/whatever-we-call-it-its-valuable/