Agents, 5 tips to get better at communication

• 5 September 2022
  • 3 replies
Agents, 5 tips to get better at communication
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

🕵️ Special operative, @DanValks has arrived in the community to share his tips on getting better at communication! 

A little about Dan 🖐

Dan has been working with Mid-Market and Enterprise customers at Freshworks for the past two years, helping them to get the most out of Freshworks products. Before Freshworks, Dan worked in the Travel Industry in Operations, Product Management and People Management roles.

Outside of work, Dan enjoys spending time with animals and traveling to new places.

Top take-aways

• Plan – Have a clear idea of what you want to say
  • Know your audience – Understand what they want to get out of the conversation
  • Sometimes it is better to pick up the phone – Simply picking up the phone can save time
  • Listen – Conversation is a two-way street, and listening is just as important as speaking
  • Body language matters – Make sure you give the customer your full attention

Over and out!

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thank you @DanValks for the helpful tips! Communication is so important when dealing with customers. Any tips for dealing with disgruntled/ aggressive customers? How do you pacify the situation or not take it personally?

Excellent question and I have found myself in that situation before. The first thing I do is take a deep breath and remain calm. I would listen and sympathise with them, and after the interaction, I would take a moment to reflect on what they said. I would take detailed notes during the call (or after the exchange if it is in person) so I have all the information to resolve the issue. 

One of the critical things is they will not be actively listening to you, they will be venting, so providing them with information during this exchange (generally) is not worthwhile.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I think the advice about picking up the phone is so important. We carry around these supercomputers and forget we can use them to simply connect in real time! 

I recently had a bank contact me by calling me because they knew it was a time-sensitive situation. I was SO grateful because any other method would have created a delay in accomplishing what I was trying to do.

Great tips!