Solved

Custom Object Reader Node not reading higher levels of dependent fields

• 7 September 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

How is it possible to be able to use the reader node in a Workflow to read the first 2 levels of a dependent field? This seems not to be possible currently.

Example:

I have a Custom Object with Category being a Dependent Field. Some have 2 some have 3 levels:

In the reader node it is set like this:

In this example “Jira” is not giving me any results because it was not specified in the Custom Object. But my expectation was that it will take the higher level “Project Support” instead.

But this is not the case.

Of course I can do this in a workflow item by item. But having about 300 categories will make this a huge task.

It would be nice to have a way to read the first and second level as well somehow!

Ideas?

icon

Best answer by eeha0120 11 September 2023, 17:13

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi.

Sounds like an interesting idea.

As I understand, it is currently working as designed. So, if it won’t find a specific entry, it won’t process anything against to.

I currently have some similar setup like yours, but it does not have sooo many entries like yours, and I have made it one by one.

I haven’t tried myself if it would be possible to combine it with standard conditionals and process against them.

Viewing again your screenshot, I’m also thinking of:

The Reader node is instructed to read from (again, it is working as designed), so, would you evaluate not filling specifics in the reader node (Don’t specify Jira), so it might work your desired way. Haven’t tried this on my side either, but I’ll sure try later.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Thanks but the problem is that the last node in the dependent field is mandatory as well. So it is not possible to stop one level above. I cannot leave it blank.
And also I have the impression that this worked some months ago...

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

oops. I clicked best answer instead of like 🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello @msconfig87 I also would like to see some further development in relation to the Reader node. What would be amazing is if we could build out custom objects in such a way where we reference other Custom Objects in a “Main” object using lookup fields, and then were able to have the Reader node return a record based on values found in those other custom objects. That alone would significantly enhance the scalability!

For example, if I could create a custom object of “Managers” that has fields like First Name, Last Name, Job Title. And a custom object of “Job Titles” that has a field of Title. Then in the Managers object we set the value for the field “Job Title” to reference the values in the Job Title custom object.

In the reader node we would then want to reference the field Job Title of the “Managers” custom object and have it return First Name and Last Name of the Manager it finds. This is not currently something that it can do.

Not a great example but I hopefully get the idea across. 😄

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

@zachary.king I am doing something similar currently but only in Service Request:

first CO:

Second CO:

Service Item with dependency on the CO:

Only Academy jobs listed

Here select Practice as a filter

Have not tried it with the reader node yet

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@zachary.king I just filed at ticket with FreshService on this as one of the main issues is the ability to sort the results or show more than the first 50 objects of the custom object table you are pulling from.  Both sorting and returned results are issues for us.

Select from our job/title custom object (75 entries) only the first 50 show in drop down ordered by entry into Custom objects table.  HR tries to find a title to assign to someone in service catalog item and … hey I can’t find the title …. painful.