Question

Why can a child ticket not have another child ticket?

• 23 October 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Why can a child ticket not have another child ticket?

Why can a parent ticket not have another parent ticket?

Having chains of tickets would be useful to track down an incident that exists over multiple months,/years

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi.

That's a great feature request.

I’d suggest to submit it as an Enhancement Request here:

Freshworks Ideas | Freshworks Community

And share the link in order we could vote on it (in case such request does not already exist).

Going to your inquiry, I guess it could be because of lacking of tracing or anything like that.

I asked once to support about it, and here is their response regarding this:

===== BEGIN CUT =====

The current Parent/Child ticket relationships in Freshservice will allow only having one parent ticket and multiple child tickets associated with it. This would be a two-level hierarchy and we would not be able to setup a three-level hierarchy here. ie, we can't set dependencies to tickets. To achieve dependencies you may consider using Tasks so that when only all of the tasks are completed you would be able to close the associated ticket. However, this needs to be configured using closure rules. Please do try the same and revert back for clarifications. 

===== END CUT =====

I also asked if this was already a requested feature, but the agent didn’t respond about it, just the standard copy/paste response:

===== BEGIN CUT =====

I have forwarded this to my product team as a feature request. Little information about the process ahead:

The request will be evaluated based on

- The technical feasibility of building the feature
- The demand for the feature
- Alignment with the current product roadmap

We will be sure to let you know if this is implemented in the future.

===== END CUT =====

But I definitely feel you, and I also need and support this, so, if you submit the Idea, please ensure to share the link in order we could vote.

Regards,

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I decided to go the route with associations instead of child/parent tickets. But that was no available for ticktes. so here is the feature request:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Onbaording has a “fake” version, all are tickets are child to the primary but there are another layer of dependency. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

It surely would be nice if we could some how control the elements of linked ticketing and do so across all record keeping modules of Freshservice.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I decided to go the route with associations instead of child/parent tickets. But that was no available for ticktes. so here is the feature request:

Thank you for sharing. Voted!

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

It sounds like this might be a good use for the allready existing Problems feature. You can link tickets back to an ongoing problem to allow for better tracking. It might work for your purpose. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

It sounds like this might be a good use for the allready existing Problems feature. You can link tickets back to an ongoing problem to allow for better tracking. It might work for your purpose. 

that is sure a good idea. however I wanted to have just a chain of tickets for better traceability of a specific ticket type without the need of creating a problem which stays open

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

oh, ok. Well I hope this works out for you. I am watching this thread so I can see if you get a solution.