Creating a ticket from a forwarded email?

• 25 November 2013
  • 4 replies

Hey gang -

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to do the following:

I often get requests that should have been sent to our support address (ITsupport@...) rather than my personal email (will@...). I usually then forward these on to ITsupport@... and a ticket is created, but then the following things happen:

1 - I have to enter Freshdesk and change the requester

2 - The user doesn't get notified about the ticket nor get a link to the ticket.

Is there any way to make this process simpler? Such as, if I forward an email to ITsupport@, Freshdesk will know to create a ticket for the original person sending the email and send them the 'your ticket has been recieved' emails rather than to me?

Cheers for the help!

-W

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Hi Will,

Freshdesk currently checks for the forwarding header of the email and if the email is forwarded from an Agent Mailbox, we will drill one level down till we find an email address of the original requester(if available) and create the ticket on behalf of person who sent you the email.

Now the easiest way for you to achieve this from your personal email would be add the email  in your helpdesk as an Occasional Agent from Admin--> Agents so that Freshdesk will automatically create the ticket on behalf of the original requester.

Strange - I just this today, and it sent ME the ticket as if I was the requester...

Anyway, about your second paragraph: are you saying that I should add my personal email as an Occasional Agent, and this will indicate to Freshdesk that I am not a 'requester?'

Thanks for the quick response!

Hi Will,

Yes, once you add your personal email into Freshdesk as an Occasional Agent, you will be able to forward emails from your personal email inbox to your Freshdesk support email so that the ticket is created on behalf of the original sender.

Please give this a try and get back to us.

That worked! I wonder why it didn't work with the one I did earlier - perhaps I deleted too much of the header or something. Anyway, that all seems in order - thank you Arjun!