How do I create a webhook to send an email to an external email address?

• 23 June 2016
  • 5 replies

I want to create a dispatcher rule that sends an email to our PagerDuty service email address when certain ticket conditions are met ("Urgent" in the subject line or submitted during non-business hours).

How do I do this? I'm not a developer but I'm fairly tech savvy. I did this exact setup in Zendesk but their UI made it fairly simple to set this up. Poking around through the admin section of Freshdesk I don't see any way to do this other than in the Dispatcher rule itself where I am to create a webhook. 

Can somebody help me create this webhook to generate an email to be sent to an email address external to my Freshdesk? Or if you can point me to where this has already been addressed I could probably follow along.

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Webhook based implementation have been used by quite a few of our integration partners to deliver features. Please check this implementation from firetext.

Thanks,

Priyo

Hi Priyo, thanks for the reply. All I'm trying to do is send an email from Freshdesk to a PagerDuty email address.

Is there no way to send an email out from Freshdesk without an integration? For a more simple example...what if I want to send an email out of Freshdesk to a distribution list email address? This was the backbone of a lot of my escalation processes in my Zendesk and I could do all of that out of the box. 

An event based observer rule can be used to send email to a Freshdesk Group, the requestor, or an agent. A dummy agent can then be used to forward tickets to required DLs. 

Thanks,

Priyo

Thanks again but this is not what I'm trying to do.

I'd like to send an email notification to an email address outside of the Freshdesk system:

Somebody emails a ticket with the word "Urgent" in the subject and it sends an email to my-team@mycompany.com (my team's Google group email address).

Ok I see. I missed the part about using a dummy agent. I guess that'll have to be ok. Thanks for the pointers...as long as I know what our limitations are I can work around them.