Question

Out of Office expiring doesn't turn on agent availability

• 7 November 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi,

We have been using the built in Freshdesk out of office functionality for the best part of 18 months. We’ve had the following issue since the very start.

The Out of Office setting allows you to choose a start date and end date for the OOO period. However when the period ends, the agent availability should be automatically turned back on. This does not work, so an administrator or supervisor is having to remember to manually slide the agents availability back on when they come back into work.

Surely this is not correct? When I raised this about a year ago I was informed it was a known bug with no ETA for a fix. 

Please can we have an update on this. It’s essential functionality for a helpdesk and makes the Out of office functionality useless.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @DanNSS 

Greetings from the Freshworks community!

I understand that you would like to turn on the ticket assignment automatically once the out-of-office schedule is over for the agent. Unfortunately, we do not have the option to turn it on once the agent is back automatically. When the agent configures the OOO, the agent's availability is automatically toggled off from the start of the OOO period, and they would have to manually toggle it back on when the agent's OOO period ends.

This is because, even if the agent is back, in some cases, their shift hours will not begin. To avoid auto-turning on the availability when the agent is not available, we currently do not support this feature to avoid the tickets from being assigned. However, if the agent is part of any active shift that you have configured under Admin → Agent shifts, the availability will be turned on automatically.

Feel free to drop a note here incase of further queries :)

Badge

Hi Aishvarya,

Thanks for the reply.

What function does the end date of the OOO period actually have then if it doesn’t turn availability on when the agent is back? Do you see where I am coming from on this? As it doesn’t feature in a report and no other agent can see an another OOO status anyway?

Just to check my understanding, if I enable agent shifts, and the agent that was out of office is ‘on shift’, then it will actually turn availability back on automatically when the OOO period ends?

Appreciate your assistance here! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @DanNSS 

The OOO scheduler considers the end date that you have provided. Yes, if agent shifts are enabled, the availability will be toggled on automatically.