Solved

Out of office replies do not make it into Freshdesk

• 23 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

My Customer Support team gets tickets from customers, which require an email to one of our vendors. We use the forward feature to email the vendor to get information. When a vendor is out of the office and has their auto reply on, the out of office emails do not make it back to the original ticket, nor do they create a new ticket. Has anyone else come across this issue?

They do not end up in Spam or Trash and we do not use the auto response feature that keeps a ticket closed.

icon

Best answer by svos 25 January 2023, 19:22

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi @mhall 

Greetings from Freshdesk community!

There is a feature that detects the automatic replies on tickets and do not consider them as customer responses. Such responses are not added to the ticket. You can turn this off by navigating to Admin>Channels>Emails>Advanced Settings>Detect automated replies.

Feel free to drop a note here incase of further assistance :)

Cheers,
Barun

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @barun.poddar 

I understand there is that feature, but that is not what I’m looking for.  My agents WANT to see that out of office reply on their ticket, but it’s not coming through.

Also reporting this as an issue. This can cause ticket to be closed because it seems the client is unresponsive, but is just temporarily unavailable.

I looked into this in the past and I think the issue stems from Google treating incoming email during an out-of-office period as ‘undeliverable’. Google sends the automated auto-response to the email address in the Return-Path field in an email header instead of the address in the Reply-To: field.

Outgoing emails from FreshWorks products have a specific email address in the Return-Path along the lines of bounces+[some numbers]-[email-inbox]=[email-domain]@fsdkim.[email-domain]

For example, I had a ticket open with FreshService some time ago (for an unrelated issue), and the emails I received from the support rep have the Return-Path in the email header of: bounces+1.2.11547104-support=freshservice.com@fwdkim.freshservice.com (The Reply-To field in that email was: support@freshservice.com)

If I had been out of office and Gmail had auto-responded. The FreshService rep would have not seen my auto-responses.

Is there a way this Return-Path email address in outgoing FreshWorks emails could include some way to be directed to the respective ticket? I don’t think this is a ‘quick fix’ issue, but it would be very appreciated.