Solved

Trying to get domained email creating tickets in freshservice

• 3 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

We use Google Workspace with our domain being <example.com>. We want to have users email tickets to helpdesk@example.com to generate a new ticket (or tag an existing one). I’ve seen the advice “don’t use Google Groups” to do this, but I also don’t see the need to pay for a single user account just to have it forward all mail over to Freshservice and Google doesn’t support domain level email aliases.

I have set up a group helpdesk@example.com and made a member of this group, examplehelpdesk@example.freshservice.com (the email address auto generated by the system) along with another test account. I even turned off “Collaborative Inbox” to avoid the problems this might pose.

But when I send mail to the helpdesk@example.com address, it is correctly delivered to the test account every time, but never generates a ticket in Freshservice. Looking at the mail report logs for the Group. 

Google email log report for Group delivered message

So it seems that Google properly processed and delivered the message to Freshservice (54.89.18.17 is an AWS IP#) without error but that Freshservice did nothing with it, felt that it was not authenticated, or couldn’t parse it.

This email address has been validated in Freshservice:

I would welcome any expertise or help here. Why won’t this work?

icon

Best answer by AtlasSol 5 June 2023, 22:04

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi.

It sounds like a Relay Security Issue (which is good).

Just to confirm, could you please try to, using your test account in the group, create a Forward rule from within that account to send the emails to the FS account ? And let us know the results.

Sincerely,

Badge

Thanks eeha0120.

Google Groups just won’t work. I was hoping to have a system which didn’t rely on the presence of a single user account to forward mail to Freshservice but something about Freshservice’s system doesn’t accept mail from a Google Group email. The only solution is to assign the alias (in this case “helpdesk”) to a single user account and then add a filter in that user’s account so that any email to that alias is sent on to Freshservice. 

It seems to work. Of course this depends on (1) that user never leaving the company and having their account terminated without an administrator remembering to give that alias to someone else, adn (2) that user not changing or deleting the filter roles in their own account upon which the ticketing system depends.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi.

Thanks for your explanation. Not sure this is something on FS side; seems more likely to be on Google side.

But once again, thanks for sharing your results.

Sincerely,