Question

Tickets Created via Email

• 2 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Hi all! 

We have a multiple product/multi configuration offering that we support our customers with via Freshdesk. We utilize the Support Portal and a good amount of our customers open tickets via a Ticket Form within the Support Portal. This experience is great for the customer AND provides us details that we need from the form that are important to our supporting of the customer (Environment, product version, Operating System, etc). 

We also allow customer to submit tickets via email. These tickets come through as a simple subject/body message, as you’d expect, and missing all the details we need from the Ticket Form that they would otherwise populate if submitting via the Portal. 

Has anyone had any success or ideas around making the “email ticket” creation process better for both the customer and us Freshdesk users? Maybe some way of incorporating and embedded object that has the fields to populate in Freshdesk? I am open to custom building something for this, I am just curious what the communities thoughts are, because we can’t be the only organization that experiences this desire. 

For clarity, current flow verses desired flow is listed simply, below: 

Current: Customer Emails in Ticket>We acknowledge ticket and then request basic information required to proceed (ticket form from the portal has all this populated by the user already)>Customer replies with details>We reply as we begin to work through the issue with the customer. 

Desired: Customer emails in Ticket with all objects (fields) from the Support Portal form>We reply as we begin to work through the issue with the customer. 

I realize an obvious solution is to provide a link to the ticket in the portal and direct the customer to update the ticket there - this is already implemented and gets largely ignored. I also acknowledge that there is a variable of customer education that could happen here, which has also been implemented and we are still getting the emailed in tickets with no required details. 

Long read, I know. Thank you for taking the time and providing any suggestions you might have! 

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi.

Well, you basically covered everything in your inquiry / post, he he he.

If you manage to have some specific field contents in the email, that would be part of Customer education. Just honest question: If they don’t follow the full procedure of submitting a ticket via a Form, do you think they would be crafting an email with specific format/contents with the required data?

What we have done (which I understand you have done as well) is marking fields as mandatory for customers, AND we send an email inviting them to fill the missing data, but while being in this state, we have actually created a ticket status MISSING DATA with No SLA.

If Customer (or agent) fill the missing data, the ticket status switches to Open; and agent is able to begin working on it.

We have also set some rules to don’t allow agent to update the ticket properties (status, etc.) if there is missing data. This forces the agent to update it, or to contact the customer in order to make him/her fill the data, or grab the data in fill it for them.

While in status MISSING DATA, as SLA is not running, we actually don’t provide response to customer but after a couple of days. 😇