Automator variables

• 12 October 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hello,

Many times when using Automator i aggregate some inputs, by sample to create an user i ask firstName, lastName, domain then i aggregate <firstname>.<lastname>@<domain>.

Would be very cool to be able to create a variable to store the value and then be able to use it in every steps in automator, instead i have to re-aggrate in every step ^^

4 replies

Badge +1

Erf this should be posted in Ideas and not here sorry ^^

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @cbarroso ,

May I ask how are you performing the aggregation?

That is something you can actually do.

Using your example:

You can name the expression as you wish, and it will have an E#; then you can refer to E#.result, which can be used anywhere in the workflow.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

TY for highlighting this shortcoming, @cbarroso - you are correct, I can confirm that you cannot reuse Expression results over and over in the WF - they have to be in the same condition set and precede the Action node to be accessible by Action Nodes.

So Condition > Expression > Action > Action will work with the same Expression Result and the 2nd row of Condition > Action has no Expression Result available.

While Condition > Action > Expression > Action will only grant access to the Expression Result for the 2nd Action node.

If you make an Idea out of this pls @ me and I’ll upvote it.  :-)

Badge +1

Thx u guys! ill try this next week!!