Question

Forcing Note From Agent

• 29 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

Is it possible to force Agents to add a note to a ticket through automation?

I want to make it so that if an Agent escalates a ticket to a specific Agent Group that they are forced to populate a note on the ticket.
I can see many ways of adding a note to a ticket through automation but none that force the Agent to populate the contents of the note, is this sort of functionality possible or should I be adding a mandatory text field to the ticket fields?

I’d rather not do the latter as it’s just duplicating built-in functionality for the sake of it.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hope you are well.

I understand that when the Agent wants to escalate the ticket to the Group, They mandatorily has to add a note. I’m afraid there’s nothing that can mandate a note but we can make use of Business rules to Mandate a field in the Ticket Properties to fill in the escalation note maybe in the Ticket properties before escalation. The Business rule would like:

Badge +3

Hope you are well.

I understand that when the Agent wants to escalate the ticket to the Group, They mandatorily has to add a note. I’m afraid there’s nothing that can mandate a note but we can make use of Business rules to Mandate a field in the Ticket Properties to fill in the escalation note maybe in the Ticket properties before escalation. The Business rule would like:

This method just duplicates built-in functionality, which as stated in OP isn’t something we want to do.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I want to make it so that if an Agent escalates a ticket to a specific Agent Group that they are forced to populate a note on the ticket.
I can see many ways of adding a note to a ticket through automation but none that force the Agent to populate the contents of the note, is this sort of functionality possible or should I be adding a mandatory text field to the ticket fields?

I’d rather not do the latter as it’s just duplicating built-in functionality for the sake of it.

Don’t see any way to force a agent to add a note. You can force a ticket field to be populated. 

Do you have a scenario ?  

Badge +3

Don’t see any way to force a agent to add a note. You can force a ticket field to be populated. 

Do you have a scenario ?  

No, this isn’t something we’re enforcing at the moment.

Due to the only feasible way of doing it being to add a text field to ticket properties, we have decided against doing this for now as we already have a resolution text field in the ticket properties which is mandatory and don’t want to confuse Agents further with yet another mandatory text field in the ticket properties area but it seems like that’s the only way forward at the moment..

You can add a note to a ticket through workflow automation no problem at all but you can’t prompt the Agent to fill out that note, you can only pre-populate the note, which is a bit silly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello @Razor, I wonder if this may be possible through a custom application. There is a frontend event that is called when the ticket’s agent group is updated. When that event happens you could create an application that slides out a modal with a paragraph field that the agent can use to type out a note. When they click a submit button, it then calls the freshservice API and adds the note to the ticket. The tricky part would be enforcing the use of the modal and prevent agents from just closing the modal if that was of concern.

But just a thought.

Badge +3

Hello @Razor, I wonder if this may be possible through a custom application. There is a frontend event that is called when the ticket’s agent group is updated. When that event happens you could create an application that slides out a modal with a paragraph field that the agent can use to type out a note. When they click a submit button, it then calls the freshservice API and adds the note to the ticket. The tricky part would be enforcing the use of the modal and prevent agents from just closing the modal if that was of concern.

But just a thought.

Good thinking, it’s definitely something I’ll have to look into.
It’s a shame that despite the automation being so robust it also feels arbitrarily limited just for the sake of it.