Question

InTune Detection Rules and Freshservice Discovery Agent

• 13 September 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hello all,

We recently moved to Intune and are beginning deployment of our Freshservice Discovery agent through InTune.

If you have deployed the agent via Intune, what are you using for Detection Rules in the deployment to uniquely identify the installed version of the agent?

I could just use the path to the installation, but if I want to use supersedence in the future to upgrade the agent, the path would not work well for that as there is nothing to uniquely identify the agent version.

Thanks!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hello all,

We recently moved to Intune and are beginning deployment of our Freshservice Discovery agent through InTune.

If you have deployed the agent via Intune, what are you using for Detection Rules in the deployment to uniquely identify the installed version of the agent?

I could just use the path to the installation, but if I want to use supersedence in the future to upgrade the agent, the path would not work well for that as there is nothing to uniquely identify the agent version.

Thanks!

I think the agent has it’s own auto update function as long as it has internet access. Not sure if you can turn that off. 

Badge

Thanks, Daniel! I did open a support ticket as well and they came through with some helpful information regarding the update function that I was not aware of.

For the auto-update function, it is enabled by default, so I do not have to worry about regularly performing manual updates of the agent. This is great and a welcome surprise.

For the InTune question, after I learned that the agent updates automatically, I ended up using the file location of the installed agent .exe as the detection rule. This worked great - agent has deployed successfully to a test group and after verification has been pushed out to rest of our systems.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I am no means an Intune expert.  I’m still trying to figure out what to do with the depreciation of Company Portal as I have several apps users can self-service.  However for FreshService Discovery Agent I deploy as a Windows App, Windows MSI line-of-business-app there is no detection rules, dependencies or supersedence with MSI line of businesses apps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am no means an Intune expert.  I’m still trying to figure out what to do with the depreciation of Company Portal as I have several apps users can self-service.  However for FreshService Discovery Agent I deploy as a Windows App, Windows MSI line-of-business-app there is no detection rules, dependencies or supersedence with MSI line of businesses apps.

Patrick-

You should look into deploying as a Win32App using the intunewinapputil. This will give you the detection rules, dependencies, etc… and from what I have read and experienced, Win32Apps play much nicer with each other in terms of not trying to install at the same time as each other etc… They recommend not to mix Win32Apps and LOB apps but we have done so for quite some time and have not had any issues. Maybe just lucky so far? Check it out.