Skip to main content

Does anyone know if we can add predefined fields in an asset?  I would like to to add the location field to all of our servers so that we could use a dropdown to select the locations that we already have in our instance.  When I try to select a dropdown field and add to all servers, it is asking me to add what I want in the list.  I don’t want to have multiple list for locations.  Thanks.

Hi.

Not sure if I got you right, but Assets can be of different types.

There are several fields that are common to all asset types, and it contains location within the Assignment section:

In asset type Hardware - Computer - Servers, in subsection Server Properties, you can still add addition custom fields, including drop down lists. Currently, they are only custom; they can’t pull Data Sources, like in tickets.

You can populate your list with your values, and then you would need to update your assets with the corresponding location.

Then, filtering for the proper asset type in the Assets list view, you could Bulk Update the group of assets you select and mass-update them with the appropriate values you previously populated:

You could also use API in order to bulk-update your assets, according to the limits in your current plan.

What is the rate limit for APIs across all plans? : Freshservice

Service Desk API for Developers | Freshservice

Hope this helps.

If I misunderstood your inquiry, I apologize; would you please elaborate?

Regards,

Thanks for the info.  I was looking at the asset fields and not the selection on the right side of the page.

Thanks for the info.  I was looking at the asset fields and not the selection on the right side of the page.

Glad I could help. Would you mind marking the response as answered if it helped?

I also have this question - how can I add something like the predefined Vendor field that pulls from the Vendor table to a custom asset category where it is not already there by default? I don’t see a way to put in a dropdown that pulls from a table.

i also have  this question ?

Hi,

Yes, you can add predefined fields to assets, but the approach depends on the system you're using. For most asset management systems, you should be able to add a custom field with a dropdown menu for locations.

To avoid creating multiple lists, you can:

1. Create a Single Dropdown Field: Set up the dropdown field with all your locations as predefined options. This way, you only have one list for locations.

2. Apply the Field to All Assets: After creating the dropdown field, you can usually apply it to all servers in your instance by updating the asset template or batch-editing the assets.

If the system is asking you to input the list of locations when adding the dropdown, make sure you’re adding all locations in one go. You might need to check if there's a way to import or define the options in bulk rather than individually.

If you need more detailed guidance, specifying the asset management system you're using could help narrow down the exact steps.

Hope this helps!