Skip to main content
Question

How do I make tasks with workflow automator based on form selection?

• 11 June 2024
  • 4 replies

Honestly, I haven't used the search function in the community yet for this question, because I have no clue which search terms to use. My English is quite well, but I'm not native to English.

I've made a Catalog item form with a mandatory multi selection dropdown item. For each picked item I want a Task made if it’s selected. How I see it now, I cannot give the WorkFlow instructions that say: If item 1 is picked, make task for item 1. AND If Item 2 is picked, make task for item 2.

A conditional statement has possible actions for either yes or no, there is no AND.

Am I just not seeing it? Or do I need to rease an idea instead of a question?

4 replies

Badge

Hi SnuffleRoe

I think I can help with this one, as it isn’t very obvious to be perfectly honest!

I’ve built a form called Automation - Field Reader Test to illustrate this. The form has a drop-down menu which prompts you to pick a favourite colour (red/blue/green):

In the workflow automator, you can make a condition block for it by having the main condition as a “Ticket Fields.Requested items includes any <Service item name>”, and then a sub-condition which lets you select the drop-down field.

As my example above shows, here’s an example of me checking to see if the drop-down was set to “Red”, and I’ve circled the sub-condition button for you so you can see where it will be once you select your service item.

You can then do a normal workflow to automate based on the drop-down menu values. Here’s an example based on your prompt, where I add a task to the case depending on the option they choose:

Hope this helps :)

Badge

Hi @NatDevine,

Thanks for the attempt, but this is not what I'm looking for.

Your example is about a single select dropdown menu. My request is about a multi select dropdown with three options where either 1, 2 or all three options can be selected and for each selected item a task has to be created.

Badge +1

Creating a workflow that automates tasks based on selections from a mandatory multi-selection dropdown in your Catalog item form involves setting up conditional rules effectively. This process ensures that tasks are generated according to the specific items chosen by users, streamlining the workflow and improving efficiency.

In many workflow automation tools, such as Zapier, Microsoft Power Automate, or similar platforms, you typically create rules or conditions that respond to user inputs. While these tools may not always use explicit "AND" statements in their conditional logic, you can achieve the desired outcomes by configuring multiple rules, each corresponding to a selected item from the dropdown.

Here's a practical approach:

1. Identify Dropdown Options: Start by identifying the options available in your multi-selection dropdown. For example, if your dropdown includes options like Item 1, Item 2, and Item 3, you'll need a rule for each of these items.

2. Set Up Conditional Rules: Create separate rules for each item:
   - Rule for Item 1: If Item 1 is selected, trigger Task 1.
   - Rule for Item 2: If Item 2 is selected, trigger Task 2.
   - Repeat this pattern for all items in your dropdown that require associated tasks.

3. Handling Multiple Selections: If your form allows users to select multiple items, ensure that each selected item triggers its respective task. This may involve looping through selected items or setting up multiple conditional branches.

4. Tool-Specific Guidance: Consult the documentation or support resources provided by your workflow automation tool. They often offer step-by-step guides and examples tailored to creating complex workflows based on form inputs.

5. Optimizing Workflow: Review and test your workflow to ensure it functions as expected. Adjust rules or conditions as necessary to improve automation efficiency and accuracy.

For additional insights on optimizing workflows and utilizing automation tools effectively. It's a valuable resource for staying updated on best practices and integrating automation into your business processes seamlessly. By following these steps and leveraging the capabilities of your chosen automation platform, you can create a streamlined workflow that responds dynamically to user selections in your Catalog item form.

Badge +3

I faced a similar problem, where users could request a lot of different things in weird combinations.

I have resolved the issue by approaching this in a semi automated way.

The idea is that we run automations on a ticket that is already created and the automations are triggered by agents.

What was needed:
Custem ticket property: Automation list ( a multidropdown with a liost of available automations Software for Software tickets, Hardware for hardware etc.)

Custom ticket property: Run automation tick
Both are hidden from requesters.

Automations: One automation for each element the user can choose. If the user can choose Adobe, Steam, Discord installations, we have a separate automation for each.

The automation setup:
Trigger: Ticket is updated
Condition1: Run automation tick is selected
Condition2: Some specific automation in Automation list is chosen.
Condition3: Requested Item is X, element in the item is Y
Action.

In the ticket we choose from the list, tick the tick, and update the ticket.
Automations are running in the background (usually several at once). We click on the update notification in teh ticket, untick the run automation tick and update the ticket again.

In your case you might not need the Condition 2 and the list of automations. But we introduced this for more control.