Skip to main content

I’m not sure where to turn next to trace this behavior. 

Orchestration server deployed, shows online. Running the powershell app configured to use the same server. 

Exact workflow, we are trying to automate user creation, but have a hybrid environment. Normally we use powershell to create the user and o365 mailbox simultaneously. 

Basic workflow just to see if we can pass the values right now:

1. When Service request is raised
  2. If subject contains ‘Employee onboarding requests’
  3. A quick line of powershell that should spit out a .csv on the server containing info from the onboarding server

I’m running into two problems. One, out of several attempts at test tickets to see if the automator executes, I’ve only seen it attempt to execute once. That one particular one failed due to the orchestration server being down. Every other test ticket did not create a log entry. 

If i use the ‘test app action’, i get no feedback. The first day i was running this, i did get some errors back regarding my powershell line- but once i fixed them, i get nothing on ‘test app’ button. no errors, no file creation. 

Don’t see any logs on the orchestration serve- one file that looks like it’s mostly just java logs, don’t see anything on the powershell side at a glance. 

Any pointers on what to look at next? Any obvious issues?

I would check with the support@freshservice.com 

Here's how you can break it down to figure out what’s happening and get back on track:

1. Double-Check the Trigger

Make sure the workflow is actually firing. It could be something as simple as the ticket subject not exactly matching. If you're using "Employee onboarding requests" as the subject, try making it more flexible by checking if the subject contains that phrase, rather than looking for an exact match. This should make sure it triggers whenever a relevant request comes in.

2. Check the Logs in Freshservice

Freshservice should be logging what's happening with your workflows. Head over to the automation logs in your settings, and see if it’s even attempting to run when you raise those test tickets. If there are no logs, it might mean the workflow isn’t triggering at all, which could point to an issue with how the conditions are set up.

3. Add Error Handling in Your PowerShell Script

To make sure you're catching any errors in your script, you can wrap it in a Try-Catch block so it logs any issues directly. Even if nothing shows up in Freshservice, at least you’ll get some feedback from PowerShell. This might help you figure out why the file isn’t being created as expected.

Here’s a simple way to do that:

Copy code

Try { # Your script here } Catch { Write-Output "Error: $_" }

4. Test App Action Isn't Showing Anything?

If hitting the "Test App Action" doesn’t give you any feedback, that’s super frustrating! Try checking if the orchestration server is even receiving the command. There might be something going on with how it’s communicating with Freshservice—like a firewall, permissions issue, or network glitch. You could also add some extra logging or have the script generate a basic file (like a .txt) just to see if the server is doing anything at all.

5. Try Simplifying the Workflow

You might want to strip down the workflow to its basics for testing. For instance, instead of running the full PowerShell script, start with something simple—like logging a message or creating a basic file. If that works, then you know the automation is triggering properly, and you can start adding back the more complex parts one by one.

6. Orchestration Server Health

Check if the orchestration server itself is healthy and running as expected. Since it went down once, it’s worth making sure it’s fully operational now. Sometimes even small hiccups with server permissions or connectivity can stop scripts from running.

7. Permissions on Both Ends

Make sure the account running your PowerShell script has permission to write files and do everything else it needs to do. Also, ensure the orchestration app in Freshservice has the correct permissions to interact with your PowerShell server.

8. Don’t Forget to Breathe!

Troubleshooting automation issues can be maddening, especially when you're not getting any clear errors to guide you. But try taking it step by step, focusing on one potential issue at a time. You’ll eventually find the missing piece.

If you're still stuck after trying these, it might be a good idea to reach out to Freshservice support. They can help dig deeper into the logs and provide more insight on what's going wrong.

Just adding to what Daniel already said, contact Freshservice Support. We had this issue as well and they resolved it together with our partner.