Solved

Multiple Workflow Automations

• 15 February 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge

I know this has been asked in various different ways but I haven’t found a concrete answer.

I’m creating an Employee Onboarding Process and one of the options is that the hiring manager can select various software titles to be installed on the laptop.  The number of apps will vary.

Right now a child ticket is created and attached to that child ticket  are the various apps to install, listed as Service Request Items.  

The plan is to use the Azure AD app to automatically add users to AzureAD groups that auto install the software.

But I cannot get the automation right.  If I do one Workflow with multiple conditions for the software,  once it hits the first ‘yes’, it runs and that's it.  It doesn’t go through the rest of the conditions.

If I create multiple workflows, only one fires.

Is there a way to have multiple workflows fire for one ticket?  Or is there a dynamic way to execute actions against multiple service requests attached to a ticket?

icon

Best answer by zachary.king 19 February 2024, 12:50

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

We do this. At the end of your 1st workflow, run a powershell node and using the WebAPI, do something link set the status of the ticket to pending and update a custom field and then have the second workflow initiate on the status change from open to pending and the custom field have your test in it.  I actually daisy chain 5 workflows doing this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello @Garuda, complex automations can be frustrating in freshservice. @ekrasner has a great idea to build them out further. Thankfully workflow automators are getting some enhancements mid-term this year. Including the ability to loop, and build workflow “components” that will be reusable throughout the workflow. Fingers crossed, they come sooner rather than later.

Badge

@ekrasner Thanks for the idea.  This definitely sounds like the way to go.

I assume you are running the powershell node on an Orchestration server?

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@ekrasner Thanks for the idea.  This definitely sounds like the way to go.

I assume you are running the powershell node on an Orchestration server?

That is correct.  Just so it is understood. The reason I use the PowerShell node and not just an action in the workflow to set the status is that in doing just the action, it doesn’t see that as an update to the ticket and the subsequent workflow will not be initiated. Using the PS node, the system sees that as an update to the ticket