Question

Merging Contacts Who Use Custom Sender

• 23 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

Experiencing a real headache when trying to merge client contacts under a single company. The company in question utilizes Netsuite custom email sender addresses - so every new ticket a contact creates also creates a new contact in Freshdesk. These are all some long variation of random numbers. So for example, we have a regular contact who often creates tickets - we now have 60+ separate Contact entries for this one individual. Normally, we would just merge these subsequent contact emails under the main contact, but the limitation of 10 email addresses doesn’t allow for this. 

Is this an issue others have dealt with, and if so, what was your solution? I think the easiest thing to do would be to lift the 10 email maximum per contact restriction, but not sure if FreshDesk is going to do that.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hi @ethan.tatum , I hope you are doing well today. Can you share a few examples of how the emails are generated to see if there's a pattern in the email addresses for one user? Since you’d mentioned that contact is created for every ticket, in the longer run, merging them every time would be a big hassle in the longer run. Instead, we can check if there are any possibilities to extract the actual email address and update the ticket's requester. 

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Badge

Hi @Keer, thank you for your response. I was able to determine an email pattern at the company level - so for example, there is a company that always has “4118423.email.netsuite.com” in the domain, another with “4951851.email.netsuite.com”, etc. So using that, I am at least able to add new contacts into the appropriate company. However, it doesn’t solve the issue of multiple contacts being created for the same person, because every new ticket they enter comes from a different email address (for example, “messages.4951851.8668167.40d59b42da@4951851.email.netsuite.com”. This is what is resulting in some contacts being duplicated 60+ times in our system. 

Hi @ethan.tatum - did you ever find a solution for this issue? Dealing with the same thing, but instead of Netsuite it’s Network Solutions.

Examples for @Keer:

noreply@notifications.networksolutions.com

nscc4+11250638900@networksolutions.com

NSCC4+9029132180@networksolutions.com

nscc99+9617840630@mail1.networksolutions.com

NSCC99+9066052610@mail1.networksolutions.com

networksolutions.1xcp9q.957193@info1.networksolutions.com

networksolutions.svle45.961559@info1.networksolutions.com

All of those examples are from page 1 of a search results 1 - 30 (of 398...and rising) for “Network Solutions” contacts. I have plenty of other examples from similar services (don’t get me started on MailChimp), but NS is the one that has been annoying me the most recently.

There really needs to be a wildcard search (with *, %, etc.) added, as well as the ability to perform mass contact merging. Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Badge

@rwc43 -

I still haven't come across any great solution - I’ve manually merged these secondary contact emails together in groups of 10 (the max for a single contact) to at least cut down on the number of Contacts, but with this being one of our largest customers, I can’t even keep up with the number of new Netsuite contact emails. The mass contact merging is definitely a needed upgrade. Best of luck!