Skip to main content
Blog

Meet Subject Matter Expert Ashutosh Pandey >>> ITOM Unlocked

Meet Subject Matter Expert Ashutosh Pandey >>> ITOM Unlocked

Hello everyone!

ITOM Unlocked is back with another live session. This time around, I have the pleasure of introducing our ITOM Subject Matter Expert (SME) Ashutosh Pandey (@a5huto5h), better known as Tosh, on Tuesday, June 18, 2024

This live Q&A session is meant to be an interactive how-to session, where our community members will watch a live demo on Freshservice’s in-built Status Page module and interact directly with @a5huto5h to clarify their doubts. This format will be ideal for community members who want to learn how to set up their Status Page, have specific requirements for security, and even smart customizations that we are shipping in the June ERM. So drop your questions in the comments below for @a5huto5h to take them up!  

But hold on – First let me share a bit more about @a5huto5h below!

-----------------

Staff Product Manager Ashutosh Pandey

Meet Ashutosh, also known as Tosh, a Staff Product Manager at Freshworks focusing on Freshservice IT Operations Management (ITOM). Tosh leads the development of the new Status page and frequently contributes to Major Incident Management. He also works on enhancing AI-driven IT Operations (AI Ops) features. Before joining Freshworks, Ashutosh was a Product Manager for a leading Application Performance Monitoring tool, building AI Ops features.

Beyond product management, Ashutosh volunteers his time organizing meditation programs and green initiatives for Heartfulness Institute. He is also a certified Heartfulness meditation trainer.

Some of the product specific areas where Tosh could help you out include:

• Status Page
  • Major Incident Management
  • AIOps

Please drop in your questions ahead of the session so Tosh can take a look and address them in the live session. This opportunity is especially suitable for sharing your use case for Status Pages and getting Tosh to help you out!

Register for the session HERE

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +12

Registered! Waiting for it!!

Userlevel 1

Registered!  Some topics I’d like to hear about:

1 - Customization of the status page - ability to customize HTML,fields displayed with service item?

2 - Customization of emails sent to subscribers of a service health item.

I wish these were recorded.  I have lots of questions, hopes/dreams, but not sure if I’ll be able to attend due to other engagements.  In addition to previous comments…...

- If the FreshPing service eventually falls into the FreshService product, I’d like to see a status page equiv to feel / functionality like what UpTimeRobot or Atlassian Status provides.  Ability to get some more notifications / subscriber features, but also click into each service with more insight (not just availability on the day view).

- Would also make a ton of sense to be able to incorporate some of the insights from the status page directly into the main user portal.  I’m thinking an insight like ‘all systems are functioning correctly / There is currently a problem / etc’

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I wish these were recorded.  I have lots of questions, hopes/dreams, but not sure if I’ll be able to attend due to other engagements.  In addition to previous comments…...

- If the FreshPing service eventually falls into the FreshService product, I’d like to see a status page equiv to feel / functionality like what UpTimeRobot or Atlassian Status provides.  Ability to get some more notifications / subscriber features, but also click into each service with more insight (not just availability on the day view).

- Would also make a ton of sense to be able to incorporate some of the insights from the status page directly into the main user portal.  I’m thinking an insight like ‘all systems are functioning correctly / There is currently a problem / etc’

Hey @halvorsond yes, these are recorded. You can access the previous session and many other Freshservice webinars on this page – Freshservice webinar & event recordings.

Hi there! Excited for this webinar. I’d love to hear about the different kinds of items that can be shown on the status page. While we love the idea of being able to let people know when specific software is having an outage or being worked on, but we also wondered if we would be able to add buildings or site locations? 

We would like that to also report things like internet and power outages. We have plenty of buildings in tornado valley and having that quick communication to the company about when there is an outage would be great.

Would there be/Is there a way to do this with the status page? Thank you for reading! 

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I’ve set up the Freshservice Status page for our instance, and have it running as a “Beta” right now - showing it to select stakeholders within the company.

Most of the services I’m monitoring are third-party services, which leads to several thoughts/questions:

1. I recently received a notice from one of the products that I’m tracking on the Status page, telling me about a Maintenance Window / Platform update they’re implementing later this week. To log that I had to create a Change ticket - which seems a little like overkill, as we aren’t the ones implementing the Change. So fields like Rollout Plan and Backout Plan aren’t really in our purview. How does FreshService recommend we best handle this situation?

2. Controlling the historic status information feels a bit… lacking.
    I added “Service A” and “Service B” to a Major Incident recently. Because of the upstream/downstream relationships in the CMDB/ITAM - a dozen other services were also added to the ticket. Most of which I stripped out, but I was ultiimately left with four services (A, B, C, D) on the ticket, as “C and D” were potentially being impacted.

As I would issue updates, and the scope of the issue was better understood to only be a problem with “A and B” (and eventually only “B”) - I had to keep setting the status of these “other services” to remain in the green. Instead of having them just “remember” their last status.

When we eventually resolved the ticket, I noticed that the status history for these non-impacted services showed the same “Partial Outage” status for the ENTIRE incident history (just over 24 hours), ignoring that I’d attempted to keep them “in the green” the whole time.

Long-term, this means that while only two services were impacted (and only one was at fault) - I now have a history that shows FOUR services were in a partial outage for 24 hours, which inaccurately paints our services as unreliable.

Is there a better way to manage these “related” services?

3. Lastly, I note that if I change a service between assorted statuses during an incident (moving between “degraded” (yellow), “partial outage” (orange), or “Major Outage” (red) ) - the last color selected is the ONLY color that is shown for the entire duration. This leads to two issues:

First - it means we can’t show how an issue got worse, or better over time. It was either always red, or always orange/yellow.

Second - When resolving a ticket tied to a Status Incident, it seems natural to set the impacted services from red/orange/yellow into the green with the last update. BUT DOING SO FLAGS THE SERVICE AS GREEN FOR THE ENTIRE DURATION.

And of course, there’s no way to manually pop in and edit the history of a status incident (or if there is, I haven’t found it).

All of this, combined with #2 makes the status indicators feel VERY finicky and “not ready for prime time”.

Do you have any suggestions on how to better manage these statuses?

Those are all fairly detailed/specific - so for a bonus question:

1. I assume that it’s possible (and even intended) that we can use automations within Freshservice to (for example) have FreshPing alert to something going down, use Alert Rules to create a ticket, and (potentially) have that ticket automate creating a Status Incident to alert stakeholders who may be subscribed to status updates for the impacted service(s)?

Thanks!

Automatically add a requester to the status page membership list? If the requester has to sign up manually there will be a low engagement rate resulting in me maintaining the list manually.

Is there a way we can use it to where we manually change statuses and titles of the the item we are tracking? In other words, does syncing in services make it to where they can only be synced and not added manually?

Userlevel 1

Hi there! Excited for this webinar. I’d love to hear about the different kinds of items that can be shown on the status page. While we love the idea of being able to let people know when specific software is having an outage or being worked on, but we also wondered if we would be able to add buildings or site locations? 

We would like that to also report things like internet and power outages. We have plenty of buildings in tornado valley and having that quick communication to the company about when there is an outage would be great.

Would there be/Is there a way to do this with the status page? Thank you for reading! 

Hey @Katherinevillarreal1, the status page allows one to post updates about “Services”. One could configure buildings and site locations as Infrastructure Services and internet and power as Utility Services within Freshservice.

Once those are created, one can create incidents and post updates about them on their status page. Let me know if that works for you.

This is a great use case. Please keep the suggestions coming!

Userlevel 1

Automatically add a requester to the status page membership list? If the requester has to sign up manually there will be a low engagement rate resulting in me maintaining the list manually.

Hey @dmcmaster thanks for your feedback!

The ability to import requesters and requester groups as status page subscribers is on our roadmap.

We have recently launched single sign-on for status page. It enables everyone in your organization to access a private status page even if they are not a subscriber. If your primary use case for this request was to provide access to requesters, that should be taken care of by the SSO feature.

Let me know if that works for you. 

Userlevel 1

Hello @halvorsond thank you for the excellent suggestions!

With reference to your second suggestion, we are launching status page badges and widgets soon. This will allow one to add a status page badge or widget to the support portal that informs visitors if there is an ongoing incident or maintenance activity.

We are exploring tighter integration with Freshping, however it is still in the early stages. Displaying the response time for a service seems like a no-brainer. What else that could be useful if displayed for a service?

Also, I would be happy to know your suggestions on notification / subscriber features that are currently missing. You could post here or we could connect offline too.

Userlevel 1

Registered!  Some topics I’d like to hear about:

1 - Customization of the status page - ability to customize HTML,fields displayed with service item?

2 - Customization of emails sent to subscribers of a service health item.

Hello @chanley, looking forward to interacting with you!

We are rolling out better look and feel customization for status pages this month. Keep an eye out for the release notes. I would like to know more about the fields that you wish to be displayed with services.

One can customize the content and look-and-feel of status page emails that are sent to subscribers from the Admin > Email Notifications > Status page section.

We are also working on a few more email customization features and I would be happy to know your thoughts and suggestions. You could post here or we could connect offline as well.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hello Folks!

The session will begin in an hour! If you have any issues logging in, please drop a message here and I’ll be sure to assist!

Looking forward to meeting you’ll today!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

What is the link to join?

Badge +2

Hello Folks!

The session will begin in an hour! If you have any issues logging in, please drop a message here and I’ll be sure to assist!

Looking forward to meeting you’ll today!

Can’t see how to join.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

For those who aren’t able to join - please try this link -

https://freshworks.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_pbn1caV0Tve_tJ2JHq5eTQ

@SteelFrost @DJL 

Badge +2

For those who aren’t able to join - please try this link -

https://freshworks.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_pbn1caV0Tve_tJ2JHq5eTQ

@SteelFrost @DJL 

This worked thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hello everyone!

Thank you for your participation today. We hope you found the session helpful. Unfortunately, we couldn't accommodate additional questions due to time limitations. Please feel free to post your questions here and tag @a5huto5h ! He will be sure to help you out!

@Anusha will share the session recording here soon!

Was unable to attend this webinar unfortunately. will there be a recording available to watch at some point?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hey @john.gaytan 

Sorry that you couldn’t attend the session. But, you can access the recording soon as we post it here. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hello everyone!

Thank you for being an amazing audience at the latest ITOM Unlocked session on Status Page held on June 18, 2024.

You'll be able to try out all the latest enhancements we demonstrated by the end of this month, in sync with the ERM cycle.

Cheers!

PS: Bookmark this page to access all Freshservice event and webinar recordings.