Question

Can we add an existing ticket as child tickets?

• 10 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi There, 

I have a query related to the linked tickets. 

As far as I’ve read, a child ticket is created from a parent ticket which have already existing in que. 

But what if I wanted to make an existing ticket to be a child ticket of a new ticket? Is that doable?

I’m excluding merge as the existing ticket might have solved but the bigger issue still being investigated.

Given an example:
Ticket #1234 was created by a client regarding an issue.

We have provided them with a workaround on that but in the same time, permanent fix need a longer time. 

In this sense, I’m thinking of creating a new ticket #5678 owning by internal to track the update but in the same time closing ticket #1234 from client’s end.
Then, I would like to make #5678 as a parent ticket & #1234 as the child ticket. 

Is it doable?

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi.

Yes, as a matter of fact, that’s a standard feature:

When you click on Add child ticket, the default is indeed New ticket, but you have Existing ticket next to it.

You may also refer to this:

https://support.freshservice.com/en/support/solutions/articles/208025-adding-child-tickets-to-incidents-in-freshservice

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Badge +2

Hello, 

i dont have the “related” tab, do i have to activate it?

Best,

Marc

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hello, 

i dont have the “related” tab, do i have to activate it?

Best,

Marc

Hi.

Your screenshot is for the Action buttons (at the botton). Not the Tabs area (on the upper side).

Regards,

Badge +2

The ability to add an existing ticket as a child ticket depends on the specific ticketing system or project management tool you are using. In many ticketing systems, you can create a hierarchy of tickets, where one ticket is the parent and others are its child tickets.

Here are general steps you might follow in a typical scenario:

1. Access the Ticket System: Log in to your ticketing system or project management tool.

2. Locate the Existing Ticket: Find the existing ticket that you want to make a child ticket.

3. Navigate to Ticket Details: Open the details or view page for the existing ticket.

4. Check for Options: Look for an option such as "Create Child Ticket" or "Link to New Ticket." The wording may vary depending on the specific tool you're using.

5. Select or Create Child Ticket: Choose the option to create a child ticket and either select an existing ticket or create a new one.

6. Fill in Details: If creating a new child ticket, you may need to fill in details such as the title, description, and any other relevant information.

7. Save or Submit: Save or submit the changes. The existing ticket should now be linked as a child ticket.

It's important to note that the exact steps may vary depending on the ticketing system or project management tool you are using. If you're unsure, you may want to consult the documentation of the specific tool or contact your system administrator for guidance.

HI Thank you very much.

So it seems i don’t have the option to add existing tickets as childs, because if i click on “Create child ticket”, the system immediately open a form for a new child, not the option to chose “link to existing”.

I will contact the support to check if i have to activate the option somewhere.

Best,

Marc

Badge

Hi @marc.freitag 

How are you doing?

Did you figure out how to add an existing ticket as a child ?

Regards,

Timour