Solved

Freshservice Change Module workflow question

• 31 October 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

In the change module we have set up our change form to include a Canceled status.  We’ve noticed that if a change is canceled after approvals have already been sent out, any approval waiting for a response continues to send the daily email reminder.  We have been going into the Change form and manually cancelling any approvals still waiting on a response to fix this but I am looking for an automated way to cancel any open approvals if the Change request is set to canceled.  Any ideas out there.  I am not seeing a way but hope someone may know of a way.

icon

Best answer by eeha0120 1 November 2023, 07:50

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi.

If I may suggest, Cancellations should be treated with a variable, like a Checkbox, for instance.

This way, your Changes may get to Closed and no other intervention would be required, and use the Cancelled variable in Analytics and/or where you need in order to include or exclude those Cancelled changes.

Anyway, going to your inquiry, what I could suggest is disable the checkbox about Email Reminders every 24 hours, and create a Scheduled Workflow to perform such Email reminder When in Awaiting approval but not in Cancelled status.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hello, 

You could try to use API ( Web request node) https://api.freshservice.com/v2/#update_change_priority

{

"approval_status": 3

}

Can’t find a good list of the different values but try 2 or 3 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi.

If I may suggest, Cancellations should be treated with a variable, like a Checkbox, for instance.

This way, your Changes may get to Closed and no other intervention would be required, and use the Cancelled variable in Analytics and/or where you need in order to include or exclude those Cancelled changes.

Anyway, going to your inquiry, what I could suggest is disable the checkbox about Email Reminders every 24 hours, and create a Scheduled Workflow to perform such Email reminder When in Awaiting approval but not in Cancelled status.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

I thought the option to disable the 24 hour reminder and creating a scheduled event would work until I tried to set it up.  I am not sure how I can address the email to the current approver(s) I don’t see an option to send to approvers.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello, 

You could try to use API ( Web request node) https://api.freshservice.com/v2/#update_change_priority

{

}

Thanks Daniel!

I found the following for status codes in case that helps someone else.  I am going to play around with this to see if moving the approval_status to 4 after it’s canceled will stop the reminders.

• 0: No approval required. This means the change request does not need any approval from anyone.
  • 1: Approval pending. This means the change request is waiting for approval from one or more approvers or CAB members.
  • 2: Approved. This means the change request has been approved by all the required approvers or CAB members.
  • 3: Rejected. This means the change request has been rejected by at least one of the approvers or CAB members.
  • 4: Cancelled. This means the change request has been cancelled by the requester or the change manager.
Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@todd5903 Unfortunately there isn’t an easy way to get to the list of approvers for a change through workflow or the Freshservice API. Perhaps you could create a change field that is used to populate the email addresses of the approvers, hide the field using business rules for forms if necessary but then access that custom field in workflow to implement @eeha0120 solution. Not elegant but could work.

Other option is to hit the freshservice API in workflow to get a list of approvals based on the change module and the change ID, it will give you the approver names, but then you would need to take those values and get the requester/agent data back to get their email address. Here is the api docs for approvals.

Badge

Hello, 

{

}

Does this API work for changing the approval status ? I tried to use it in the sandbox testing but got invalid field error. Can you confirm this works ?