Solved

freshservice subject field format

• 20 September 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

good morning,

is there a way to amend the format of the subject field in FreshSerivce.

currently the ticket number is at the end of the ticket subject. we’d like it to be at the beginning.

subject current format example: test subject #INC -123

preferred format: #INC - 123; test subject.

icon

Best answer by BrynCYDEF 29 September 2023, 22:35

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi.

Yes, you may customize all.

And I’d suggest to adapt is as the recommended way, with the format [#INC-NNNNN] (including square brackets), so replies would be properly appended to tickets.

You may go to Admin - Workflow - Email Notifications. From there, you may (and need to) modify the different emails that are sent, and adapt them to your needs. Remember in particular to maintain the Reply template, which is the one used (implicitly) by agents when responding to tickets.

Please refer to the following:

How to edit or customize email notifications in Freshdesk? : Freshdesk

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

thanks! if we change the subject configuration we’ll change the email too. but how do I change the subject format?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi.

In Admin - Workflow - Email Notifications.

In this option you have the option to modify the emails, which consist of: Subject and Body/Message.

You can modify either or both.

I’d suggest to check this:

How to edit or customize email notifications in Freshdesk? : Freshdesk

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

i should have been more clear, i know how to update the emails format. how do i update the subject format in the ticket?

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi.

In the section that reads Subject, you may modify its contents to suit your needs:

You could add, as per your initial request, for instance:

[#{{ticket.id}}] - {{ticket.subject}}

That would send the ticket number in the format [#INC-NNNNN] - Test subject

Hope this clarifies.

Regards,

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

thanks.. that’s for the email notifications. i understand how to do that. i want to change the contents of the subject field. 

i want the ticket number to be at the beginning of the subject field. this has nothing to do with email formats.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Hi.

I guess that you mean you wish to modify your current data.

On a ticket, clicking on the button Edit wil allow you to edit the ticket subject:

You can modify it to your need.

I will guess you would like to modify them in bulk. For this, you would need to work with API.

Here is the direct reference link to update ticket:

Freshdesk

You would need to loop through your tickets and run an update command against each of them in order to update the subject with the desired one.

In order to avoid more complex escenarios of GET API calls, parsing that output, adjusting it, and then creating the PUT API calls, I’d suggest to export your ticket list (or at least the ones you wish to modify, like the currently Unresolved only), format the subject as desired in a spreadsheet, and then you’d be able to form the series of PUT API calls to update them.

For instance:

curl -v -u yourapikey:X -H "Content-Type: application/json" -X PUT -d '{ "subject":”Your desired formatted subject” }' 'https://domain.freshdesk.com/api/v2/tickets/1'

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

To update the subject you need to use API https://api.freshservice.com/v2/#update_ticket_priority

Recommend adding ?bypass_mandatory=true in the end of the URL so you can update service requests as well.  payload/body need to be something like this

{
"subject": "{{ticket.subject | sanitize_html }} [#{{ticket.id}}]"
}

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

thanks.. that’s for the email notifications. i understand how to do that. i want to change the contents of the subject field. 

i want the ticket number to be at the beginning of the subject field. this has nothing to do with email formats.

Hi @MariamP - I think what you are asking is whether the ticket list layout can be adjusted so that the Ticket ID is at the start of the Subject field in the Agent’s view.

Unfortunately no - for whatever reason, FW always puts the ID at the end of the Subject field - tbh it should be its own field not sure why they are still grouped together in this way.

The only thing you could do is move the Subject field more to the left in the results window and then stretch the Subject field itself so you can see more of the subject line.

You can also freeze or lock columns and they will continue to display even as you mouse away to the right.

HTH

Bryn