Solved

If I update/change an existing Field in 'Ticket Fields' page, what would happen to existing data?

• 13 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hello, 

So there is an existing field called ‘Category’ and let’s say the value goes something like this:

Software
MS Office
Teams
Windows
Chrome
Internet Explorer
Software (Replace Above with This):
Office 365
Operating System
Web/Browsers
Others

So first ‘Software’ is our exsiting Category (and Sub-Catgories) and I would like to replace it with the one below it (Values are completely made up for demonstrations). Let’s say there are already Closed tickets and some Open one that has been assigned ‘Software’ Category and whatever sub-categories. 

What would happen if I just replace all sub-categories in ‘Software’ category with Sub-Categories from ‘Software (Replace Above with This)’? 

1. Would this make all ‘Sub-Categories’ values for all existing/closed tickets to be blank? 
  2. Would it remain the same? 
  3. Would it ask me to replace the value for all existing/closed tickets?   

icon

Best answer by eeha0120 14 June 2023, 17:08

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi.

Existing tickets will retain its original data

But if any of those tickets are still Unresolved, data would need to be updated on them with the new set of data.

Regards,

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

P.S.:

For analytics, you will be able to see the old data, but you won’t be able to filter out by the old data; only for the new data, so, if having reports relying on that, they might need to be adjusted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

What I do is to add the new values and then change the tickets with the old value and then remove the old values. 

Hello, 

So there is an existing field called ‘Category’ and let’s say the value goes something like this check here:

Software
MS Office
Teams
Windows
Chrome
Internet Explorer
Office 365
Operating System
Web/Browsers
Others

So first ‘Software’ is our exsiting Category (and Sub-Catgories) and I would like to replace it with the one below it (Values are completely made up for demonstrations). Let’s say there are already Closed tickets and some Open one that has been assigned ‘Software’ Category and whatever sub-categories. 

What would happen if I just replace all sub-categories in ‘Software’ category with Sub-Categories from ‘Software (Replace Above with This)’? 

1. Would this make all ‘Sub-Categories’ values for all existing/closed tickets to be blank? 

If you replace all the sub-categories in the 'Software' category with the sub-categories from 'Software (Replace Above with This)', the behavior and impact on existing/closed tickets will depend on how the system or database managing these categories is designed.

Sub-categories remain the same:

Blank Sub-categories:

Manual Update Prompt:

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hello, 

So there is an existing field called ‘Category’ and let’s say the value goes something like this check here:

Software
MS Office
Teams
Windows
Chrome
Internet Explorer
Office 365
Operating System
Web/Browsers
Others

If you replace all the sub-categories in the 'Software' category with the sub-categories from 'Software (Replace Above with This)', the behavior and impact on existing/closed tickets will depend on how the system or database managing these categories is designed.

Sub-categories remain the same:

Blank Sub-categories:

Manual Update Prompt:

The tests I have done is that the category is a string value that they match to the free text field. 
So it’s not index based fas as I understand it.