Question

Scheduled Workflows against Closed Tickets

• 11 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

The Ask: Since it appears there is a software limitation, in that FreshService scheduled workflows do not run against closed tickets, how do I accomplish this goal?

The Scenario: We’ve implemented a service request and workflow to manage the request and approval process for security policy exemptions.  These exemptions are time limited, which is a dropdown field the requestor can choose, up to 365 days.  

The Goal: On approved security policy exemptions, we need to have the ability to automatically create a new policy exemption request, 14 days before the current one expires.  I created a workflow for this, and in testing against open tickets, it is successful, in terms of the calculations and creating the new ticket...but since we are closing the tickets (so they aren’t open up to a year), they aren’t triggering.

I’m sure I can implement a new ticket status for these and just leave them in that state so my workflow will run, but I’d like to have a solution that doesn’t require the ticket to remain in an open status. 

Any ideas?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hello @SteelFrost I would reach out to freshservice support at support@freshservice.com regarding this issue. Not sure why they wouldn’t allow this to run against closed tickets when I can select closed as a condition for what tickets to filter on.

Maybe it is a bug. Interested to see what they say.

Take care!

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

The Ask: Since it appears there is a software limitation, in that FreshService scheduled workflows do not run against closed tickets, how do I accomplish this goal?

The Scenario: We’ve implemented a service request and workflow to manage the request and approval process for security policy exemptions.  These exemptions are time limited, which is a dropdown field the requestor can choose, up to 365 days.  

The Goal: On approved security policy exemptions, we need to have the ability to automatically create a new policy exemption request, 14 days before the current one expires.  I created a workflow for this, and in testing against open tickets, it is successful, in terms of the calculations and creating the new ticket...but since we are closing the tickets (so they aren’t open up to a year), they aren’t triggering.

I’m sure I can implement a new ticket status for these and just leave them in that state so my workflow will run, but I’d like to have a solution that doesn’t require the ticket to remain in an open status. 

Any ideas?

My understanding is that it would take to much resources to run a check on all tickets. 

Think if you have >100k tickets if needs to check each time you want it to run. 
As of today it has a limit on 10k ticket as well. So if you have more then that open/resolved it will not run on any more. Far as I know, I can be wrong. 

Set the ticket to resolved and a tag or custom field value and in your Supervisor Rules you exempt them from closing.  Or a custom status as you say. 

Badge +1

Hello @SteelFrost I would reach out to freshservice support at support@freshservice.com regarding this issue. Not sure why they wouldn’t allow this to run against closed tickets when I can select closed as a condition for what tickets to filter on.

Maybe it is a bug. Interested to see what they say.

Take care!

I have and they confirmed it is not a supported feature.  Despite the fact that yes, you can choose the Closed status in conditions which is how I set it up.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

Badge +1

Any ideas?

My understanding is that it would take to much resources to run a check on all tickets. 

Think if you have >100k tickets if needs to check each time you want it to run. 
As of today it has a limit on 10k ticket as well. So if you have more then that open/resolved it will not run on any more. Far as I know, I can be wrong. 

Set the ticket to resolved and a tag or custom field value and in your Supervisor Rules you exempt them from closing.  Or a custom status as you say. 

Great point on the resources required…  Interesting idea with leaving those in a resolved state vs auto-closing them, which we do today… I’m curious what that might impact other reports… Great suggestion, thank you.  May give it a shot.