Question

Sending automatic emails to requestors

• 21 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

HELP !!!

I am trying to set up automatic emails that sends and email to requestors. 

Example, 

If we put the ticket at Status “On Hold” after 20 hours it sends chaser email 1, after 30 hours chaser email 2, after 40 hours a final email and closes the ticket. I have reached out to FreshService support and I get a lot of different answers which don't really fit the bill. 

A lot of IT ticket systems have this functionality but FreshService doesn't seem to have it. 

2 replies

It's weird that it's missing, but we’ve found a few weird warts like that with FS.

I took a poke, and a hacky workaround might be:

• Add a custom ticket field, 'last_requester_interraction' or something, and hide from the UI with business rules.
  • Set up a event automator so that any response/note added by requester updates that time.

You can then make a scheduled automation that:

• for any ticket with status 'ON HOLD’ and ‘last_requester_interraction’ > 10h
    • send email

You can gate it using tags, which I’ve found useful to avoid repeating actions, e.g. pseudocode

scheduled condition: ticket.status == 'ON HOLD'

if ticket.tags notincludes 'REMINDER_1' and ticket.last_requester_interraction > 10h:
send reminder1
add tag 'REMINDER_1'

if ticket.tags notincludes 'REMINDER_2' and ticket.last_requester_interraction > 20h:
send reminder2
add tag 'REMINDER_2'

and likewise modify the event automator so that a requester response clears the tags

An annoying thing is the ticket scheduled automator can only be as granular as once a day.

A rather cursed workaround for that would be to set up a scheduled task/cronjob on one of your machines, and use the freshservice API to pull a list of relevant tickets. Then for each ticket, add a new tag called ‘TRIGGER_ONHOLD_AUTOMATOR’ or something. This should count as a “ticket update”, and you can then have an automation process the reminders if applicable.

Dunno how big your support base is, but beware of the draconian ratelimiting.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

I wanted to do something similar, but took a different route using Supervisor Rules.

We are poling our customers every 15 days when our ticket is in “Pending” status. Here’s what my rule looks like:

I’m using all built-in fields - items that are already tracked within FreshService. To do this, I’m limiting it to just a single group, but you don’t need to have that second item. Since you only care about the time since the ticket is ON HOLD, you can just do:

HOURS SINCE PENDING is 30

I have two emails that are sent - one to the customer informing that we are awaiting their input and another to my Service Center so they are aware that we are pending customer input on that tkt. Ideally, I’d also like to put a note in the ticket that I sent that notification to the customer, but that’s not an option presently (already requested it).

You would need another supervisor rule for your secondary notification.