Ask me anything

Community Spotlight: AMA with Freshdesk MVP, Kannan, Director of payments, Zalora

Community Spotlight: AMA with Freshdesk MVP, Kannan, Director of payments, Zalora
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello there,

I come bearing some exciting news!!

We are hosting our very first Community take-over :boom:

The spotlight will be on Kannan, Director of Payments, Zalora, a Freshdesk customer, on March 22. 

Let’s take a look at their background -- 

This is a great opportunity for you and your team to connect with a Freshdesk customer, and ask any questions that can help you make the most out of our product.

How does it work?

• Post your questions in the comments section below
  • Kannan will monitor the post to answer your questions
  • Engage in a conversation, ask follow up questions or share your two cents

See you on March 22 at 10:30 AM ET/ 9 PM IST

39 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Next question!

Q2: While it is key for a company to be available across mediums, which channel of support seems to work best for an online retailer like yours?

First it was Friendster, Myspace, Facebook, Instagram and now Tiktok. Likewise, we have customers hopping between emerging trends and having chic and classy brand appearance demands us to be available on all platforms with social media gaining prominence in recent times. 

And how do you sync both offline and online experiences?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Welcome @kannan.rajaratnam. My question for you - How do you keep employees motivated through busy seasons where increased volumes are bound to take a toll?

Just a thought!

Organizations should first have their infrastructure in place. If not, employees would get frustrated very soon.

Basic infra like:

1. Good laptops, PCs, etc.
  2. Give enough reimbursements for a high bandwidth internet connection (considering WFH scenario)
  3. Required tools / software to reduce manual intervention

Good points Isaac, having the basic infrastructure is essential. We always have been very cautious in making sure the team is equipped with the best tools. During peak we tend to shift focus on the human side of things to keep them motivated. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

My other questions is - how does Zalora provide a unified/holistic experience to their customers? How do you tackle this when sometimes offline and online retail experiences are so different?

Consistency is key, we have a set of standard measure across different touch points, example delivery lead time, payment invalidation, aging ticket, CSAT. Ensuring customers have great and consistency experiences helps to keep us ahead of the curve when it comes to best in class service. 

You’re right - consistency really is key! And a lot of attention to detail - this will ensure best in class service!

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Welcome @kannan.rajaratnam. My question for you - How do you keep employees motivated through busy seasons where increased volumes are bound to take a toll?

This used to a big challenge as our business is quite seasonal with peaks hitting 10X the volume. Typically a-lot of advance planning takes place with expectation setting and some level of restriction and process review to improve turn around time. We also focus on mass and proactive updates to keep the impact to contact centre minimal. Beyond that, we shift the cost savings realized from other expenses to incentivise top talents. 

Also expectation setting! Once the expectation is set with both employees and with customers, I guess, both the parties would know what to expect. 

Setting a set of appropriate guidelines on SLAs and also escalation protocols can go a long way.

P.S.: Not an expert, but sharing my thoughts by putting myself in the shoes of an employee dealing with these. 🙈

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Next question!

Q2: While it is key for a company to be available across mediums, which channel of support seems to work best for an online retailer like yours?

First it was Friendster, Myspace, Facebook, Instagram and now Tiktok. Likewise, we have customers hopping between emerging trends and having chic and classy brand appearance demands us to be available on all platforms with social media gaining prominence in recent times. 

We don’t have offline experience currently while we introduced them in the past as part of our awareness campaigns. Some of the key considerations was creating strong backend visibility of data and information that is powering our front end tracking systems or the reference tool for our front liners. We had hybrid models where you could order online and collect at our store or browse physical product offline and head on to one of the customers there to place an order assisted by an employee of ZALORA. @Isaac Thomas 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Just a thought!

Organizations should first have their infrastructure in place. If not, employees would get frustrated very soon.

Basic infra like:

1. Good laptops, PCs, etc.
  2. Give enough reimbursements for a high bandwidth internet connection (considering WFH scenario)
  3. Required tools / software to reduce manual intervention

Really good points @Isaac Thomas - I think its important to focus on employee experience as much as customer experience! A happy employee = a happy customer!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This next one I’m sure will be helpful for many! 

Q4: How has having a streamlined system assisted help desk agents be better at their jobs and not burn out, especially since expectations on customer support has RISEN through the pandemic?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Next question!

Eagerly waiting for @kannan.rajaratnam’s response! 😐

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Q4: How has having a streamlined system assisted help desk agents be better at their jobs and not burn out, especially since expectations on customer support has RISEN through the pandemic?

Besides the team we also used the opportunity to onboard stakeholders to use Freshworks to attend to escalations. The SLA with stakeholders helped to create the right expectation and a standard approach for the employees to remember. The data that we derive on tracing these interactions have been a great deal of help in structuring new process or optimising the current one. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Besides the team we also used the opportunity to onboard stakeholders to use Freshworks to attend to escalations. The SLA with stakeholders helped to create the right expectation and a standard approach for the employees to remember. The data that we derive on tracing these interactions have been a great deal of help in structuring new process or optimising the current one. 

Love that idea! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

This used to a big challenge as our business is quite seasonal with peaks hitting 10X the volume. Typically a-lot of advance planning takes place with expectation setting and some level of restriction and process review to improve turn around time. We also focus on mass and proactive updates to keep the impact to contact centre minimal. Beyond that, we shift the cost savings realized from other expenses to incentivise top talents. 

Also expectation setting! Once the expectation is set with both employees and with customers, I guess, both the parties would know what to expect. 

Setting a set of appropriate guidelines on SLAs and also escalation protocols can go a long way.

P.S.: Not an expert, but sharing my thoughts by putting myself in the shoes of an employee dealing with these. 🙈

Precisely, Customer service is not a walk in the park. I have always regarded the role as one of the most challenging yet having a holistic view of the organisation’s processes. Some musings here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Wow, this has been an exciting half-hour! Cheers everyone for taking the time to get involved. We hope to do many more such events that can help you make the most of your product. 

Last but not least, a huge thank you to @kannan.rajaratnam - your insights are much appreciated, and I’m sure our members would have learnt many things along the way.

A happy dance to celebrate this session!

Until next time!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Wow, this has been an exciting half-hour! Cheers everyone for taking the time to get involved. We hope to do many more such events that can help you make the most of your product. 

Last but not least, a huge thank you to Kannan - your insights are much appreciated, and I’m sure our members would have learnt a few things along the way.

A happy dance to celebrate this session!

Until next time!

Thank you Rhea for coordinating. The questions were very resourceful and gave me a lot of reflections on our journey as well. Happy to contribute today, hope it has been helpful. Feel free to drop a note here on linkedin should anyone need further clarification! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

My bad, should have tagged them earlier 😓

@keefe.andrews @zachary.king @Alefre @ErikAlmSynerity @manns @vijay_2am