Skip to main content
Question

Do software assets regularly update installation count?

• 11 June 2024
  • 1 reply

We are currently working on cleaning up our Software Asset Catalog, I’m noticing that in some of these entries underneath ‘Installations’ there will be machines listed that are no longer on our domain at all, or even active. 

My  understanding is that the FS agent periodically reports back on the asset it is monitoring, including detailing the name of the software that is installed on that machine. If the software is uninstalled from the machine/asset, does the agent then update that in the software asset catalog, or does the entry from when the software was discovered just stay there? Does it drop off after a period of time? 

For example, i have a version of a security software that has six machines under ‘Installations’. The installation date is from back in 2022 and those machines are no longer on our domain, do they need to be manually removed? 

I’m new to Freshservice and Freshworks solutions and I greatly appreciate the help!

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I go into software inventory and see what software has zero installations so I can remove them. The inventory catalog has some enhancements that could make this easier, for instance sorting by installations doesn’t always work. Meaning I would expect those with 0 to be first then those with 1 installation but the sort doesn’t seem to be working, drove me notes.  Then I posted something similar to this. 

And found there is a asset workflow that can be built.  So when status changes on assets from like In Use to In Stock or Retired, there is a function that can be run to remove software associations to the asset.  So desktopA goes from In Use to Retired, the automation runs and removes the asset from the software. This helped tremendously in cleaning up the software inventory.

My understanding is the FS Agent runs once a week so if assets change during that time (taken offline) the next refresh would not find the device and update it so the asset workflow works great to execute those clean up.